Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Covered litter trays

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Izzy95, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Izzy95

Izzy95 PetForums Member

I tried a covered litter tray for Inky about a year ago and she wouldn’t use it and went to the toilet on my bed instead. I tried taking the door off but she still wouldn’t use it, she will only use an old one that is too small for her really. I’d really like her to use a covered litter tray because it’ll be bigger and also keep the litter in the tray as she tends to kick it across the room. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get her to use a new litter tray or is it a case of she doesn’t like it so there’s no point trying again?

Also can anyone suggest a good covered litter tray

2. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Member

I’ve got a petphabet large litter tray downstairs, it’s covered but no door and just a large storage box full of litter upstairs ( I found this was less messy than the other litter trays I had upstairs and a lot cheaper) x

3. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

4. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

5. ChaosCat

ChaosCat PetForums VIP

It’s actually quite big and yes, both used to use it but don’t toilet inside if they can prevent it nowadays.

BarneyBobCat likes this.
  6. LeArthur

LeArthur PetForums VIP

7. BarneyBobCat

BarneyBobCat Slave to an AcroCat

Just bought one so hopefully Barney likes it :)

ChaosCat likes this.
  8. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

9. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

Our forests cats use the hop in boxes, there is plenty of space for them as they also stick their heads out.

BarneyBobCat likes this.
  10. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Covered trays are gross, holding in odors, as for doors on covered litter boxes the idea leaves me speechless. I can't imagine any cat happily using something like that.

Cats instinctively need to be able to see around them when they toilet.

Get large high sided plastic storage boxes. No lid. He can jump in over the side of the boxes. I've been using them for 20 years. Never have had a problem with them.

buffie likes this.
  11. csut

csut PetForums Junior

I think they'd have stopped manufacturing them if that was the case with all cats!

mine's always uses a covered tray with a door, no probs... ditto the cat I had previously.

obviously not all cats will like it so maybe that's the case with OP's cat... they are mysteriously particular creatures when they want to be :Blackalien

12. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Izzy95 - I think as Inky has made her feelings clear about covered trays I wouldn't try and persuade her. Cats can be very particular about the type of litter trays they will use. And if the right sort (in their view) is not provided for them they may choose to avoid the tray altogether to show their dissatisfaction. It's not worth the risk tbh.

Inky will probably be better with a high sided open tray of the kind mentioned by others. One of my previous cats liked a large high sided plastic storage box without the kid on and a hole cut in one end for entry/exit. It contained the cat litter very well.

13. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I think it is you that don't have the problem with the door though, not your cats. :) What choice do they have really, but to accept what you offer them?

As you say, some cats will rebel and toilet elsewhere. You've simply been lucky to have cats that are more accepting and tolerant.

Those doors are put on to sell product. Because humans think it is a good idea, giving no thought to the cat's preference. What on earth is the point of forcing a cat to use a door to toilet? I think many people simply remove them after purchase. Hopefully.

Think how nasty it must be for the cat, to toiled in a dark enclosed space, with all the odor held in, with no way to see his or her surroundings, and no escape route.

#13 lorilu, Nov 29, 2020
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2020
  14. urbantigers

urbantigers PetForums VIP

High sided storage boxes here. I have a litter flinger and not much keeps that in the box, but a high sided box (all the way around not just the back - he’s not considerate enough to only fling in one direction) keeps most of it in.

15. csut

csut PetForums Junior

woah... well, I can't say I've ever given that any consideration, and I have never heard of that before. I tend to know straight away when there's a litter tray issue (or any issue). e.g. one time I couldn't find any of his normal Catsan 'granules' and had to get this weird 'woodchip' type litter instead. he refused to even go in the box and went to loo on floor! only time he's ever done that...

shame you can't ask them what they'd prefer, but going by reactions/behaviour etc I'd guess mine has no issue with a covered box and a door (more of a flap really)

16. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

I think ( may be wrong it has been known ;) ), most cat / dog products are designed with the human in mind with very little regard given to what the animal in question would choose .

lorilu and chillminx like this.
  17. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Yep. That's my point.

buffie likes this.
  18. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

This topic tends to prompt strong opinions from some people but I bred kittens for twenty years and frankly, cats learn to use a particular toilet area from a young age. I am often surprised that cats raised outdoors can usually be persuaded to use a tray if they have been used to soil or gravel or some other surface. Kittens will use fabric if they are given access to it at the time of litter training so Inky may have been confused and chosen a material from kittenhood or just something that smelt familiar. Something to remember is that kittens learn to toilet where there is already the distinctive smell. I used to send my kittens to their new homes with some used litter to put in their new tray and I wonder if Inky would use a new tray if you mixed in a little of her used litter with the new.

All my cats have used hooded trays but never with a door. You could try it without the hood first and then put the hood back if you can get her used to the bigger tray first.

chillminx likes this.
  19. csut

csut PetForums Junior

next time I run out of food I'll bear this in mind !

20. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Sometimes the picture of the food would make you wonder just who the contents are designed to appeal too.......
    Turkey in white sauce / Chicken and pea' s / Tuna and carrots to name but a few :rolleyes:

chillminx and lorilu like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice