Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Covered litter trays?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by donnamatrix, Oct 25, 2012.

1. donnamatrix

donnamatrix PetForums Member

We've got trays with a slightly covered rim but Yuki still kicks her litter around merrily - I'm in the hall with the dustbuster every time she goes!

I'm tempted to look into hooded trays but our vet warned against them because the smell can build up and it can put cats off using them because their sense of smell is so sensitive.

What do you think? What hooded tray do you recommend?

#1 donnamatrix, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  2. colliemerles

colliemerles PetForums VIP

all my litter trays are hooded ones, i have the large ones as i have maine coons that are large and need room to turn around in them, im lucky i guess as i am home 24/7 so as soon as some one goes for a pee or a poo i clean it out. i thought they liked the close ones as its more private,:confused:.:)

3. Meena

Meena PetForums Member

You can get mats to catch the litter don't know how good they are. We just have the cat box under the table and I hoover it 3 times a week when I am hoovering the rest of the house.

4. donnamatrix

donnamatrix PetForums Member

Yuki isn't shy about using her tray in front of us! Our only reason to get a hooded tray would be to stop the litter going everywhere.

5. Alaskacat

Alaskacat PetForums Senior

Mine prefer closed to open too. I suppose it depends how often you change a tray. To be honest a dirty tray would stink whether it was open or closed, if it stinks clean it I would have thought.

The fact you are chasing around with a dust buster makes me think you probably wouldn't let the tray get so bad that it stinks so it wouldn't be a problem and it would definitely cause less litter mess around it.

:)

6. cats galore

cats galore PetForums VIP

i have several different types of litter trays - my cats seem to prefer the hooded ones too. they were a little confused at first about the door but soon adjusted to it. i have a few cat it hooded trays and the door lifts open and over the top (if you can understand what i mean) so i kept the door open until they learnt to use it. they are fine now with them.

7. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

I am not sure that all vets are up to speed with clumping litter or with keeping the tray clean tbh. I have cats that prefer open trays, and one that prefers it covered but no cats that prefer a dirty tray:D I also notice that their preferred litter is light, flickable and kickable (Cats Best) but my preferred one isn't (Worlds Best). So I put the CB in the hooded trays, although one has the door removed.

8. Oscars mam

Oscars mam PetForums VIP

I used to use a hooded tray for the very same reason but Oscar didn't really like them he used to hang his bum out of the door and poo on the floor:rolleyes:
    I got a modkat for that reason, he can't hang his bum out and he can't kick litter all over :) we now have 3 :eek: 2 at home and one at the boat! But at over £100 each they don't come cheap and although they are modern and don't look like a litter tray I bet they don't cost anymore than a large hooded tray to make :rolleyes:

9. Jonescat

Jonescat Don't do nothing. Do something.

The breeder that our kits came from had a Modkat, and the end result is that Bugsy thinks any tall box is a litter tray - litter bin, storage box, recycling etc etc. Doesn't seem to notice that there is no litter in any of these...

10. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

Sorry that made me laugh:D:D:D:D:D

11. Oscars mam

Oscars mam PetForums VIP

Hahaha sorry made me laugh too!! I don't think oscars too keen on them tbh but for me they've saved loads of work and luckily they've never tried anything else other than the bath for Oscar when he wants to be naughty! :mad:

12. PetloverJo

PetloverJo PetForums VIP

I got 3 covered litter trays 2 Catit and 1 XXL PAH, I use Oko now and find that is the best litter of the ones I have used, even better than Natures gold. I think if the clumps are emptied regularly then they don't smell and I don't have to do a full change for at least 4- 5 weeks

#12 PetloverJo, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice