Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

covenants Re chickens

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Rhiannon, Jul 20, 2009.

1. Rhiannon

Rhiannon PetForums Member

hi there, we're just moving into a new build with a large garden and have really wanted to adopt a couple of ex battery hens from the bhwt. we're restricted by a covenant that says
    " Not to keep or feed or permit to be kept or fed on the property animals other than normal household domestic pets"
    weve asked the man in the sales office but he doesnt know if this covers chickens.
    Im wondering if anyone has come across this before and are chickens counted as 'normal' domestic pets?
    Im only planning on having 2-3 and I dont think they would be a pest to the neighbours!

any thoughts???

2. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

I think you can, When you don't have many they are classed as domestic pet's:)

3. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

We had some and lived in a council house! I think less than 5 are classed as pets, any more and they are a flock and have to be recorded with MAFF - according to our previous vet who checked with us to see if our chicken was a pet before he treated her. Good luck. :)

4. Rhiannon

Rhiannon PetForums Member

thanks for the advice.
    any tips on keeping them happy? i.e. heating in winter, props and toys, etc....
    and how to keep both the lawn and chickens happy?

5. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

Hi
    I must admit I was a complete novice when I took on my first chickens - next door but one had them and his wife was fed up of them wandering in the house! I had always wanted some so we said yes, then ran off to the shops for a book (which was in the POETRY section!?!)
    We got layers pellets, but I thought it looked boring so we added corn/maize that you can get for pigeons. We also got pigeon grit for them. I fed them cabbage, sprouts, apples and they would do anything for a grape! They had a mud patch to scratch in so they mostly left the lawn alone. They did enjoy a mudbath in my planters though! In the end I provided a large plantpot with peat in for them.
    They mostly entertained themselves (there were 3 of them) by eating, scratching, sunbathing, digging and chasing the cats! They also loved playing with the rabbits and guinea pigs, sneaking in to watch telly and scaring OH :D.
    In the winter we had a heater in the shed for them. As long as there is plenty of hay and it is draftproof you should be ok.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice