Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

CoUPliNg AdViCE PlEAsE RePLy

Discussion in 'Chinchillas' started by HelpThisUserPlz, Mar 2, 2019.

1. HelpThisUserPlz

HelpThisUserPlz PetForums Newbie

Okay so i got two chins, ones a 2 month old female, the other a 5 month old female. I bought them a week apart, and it seems like they're getting along fine. However, the older one seems to be nibbling on the smaller ones fur (back and head), although the smaller one doesn't seem to care. Also whenever they get close (cuddling?), they look like they're frenching (i kid you not) and they to start squeak. They also sometimes chase each other around in the cage, and the older one looks like it's pop corning (in the cage). Is any of this normal? It's my first time owning chins.

PS: I havent separated them, because they havent hurt each other (yet) im keeping a watchful eye on them.

2. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

Sounds like grooming behaviour. They may make a little noise and pull away when the eyes are being groomed. At those ages they tend to be quite easy to introduce to each other.
    Kits tend to be a bit metal so the running around chasing can be normal as long as there's not piles of fur around (this would indicate aggressive behaviour).
    When you say nibbling the fur on the back and head is the fur then shorter there?

3. HelpThisUserPlz

HelpThisUserPlz PetForums Newbie

First, thank you for the quick response.
    The nibbles last for 4-5 seconds, therefore i don't think any hair is being pulled out; fortunately no hair is visible in the cage either. I hope what you're indicating is right, because i really want them to get along!

4. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

Definitely grooming then.
    You may see some dominance mounting, this is normal for males and females and as long as no fur flying can be left to sort out themselves.

The squeaking is a contact call and babies tend to do it much more often than adults. If the grooming gets a bit much they'll make a knack noise, nothing to be concerned about just one telling the other that hurt a bit.

Signs of fighting are: fur everywhere; obvious bite wounds (usually on the back, tail); excessive chasing and finding one in a corner and being noticeably scared when the other comes near.

Hopefully you won't have any of that and they'll be fine together.

HelpThisUserPlz likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice