Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Couple Spend Thousands Bringing a Dog Home From Holiday ...

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by lauz_1982, Jun 11, 2010.

1. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

Sorry if this has been posted already - didn't show up in any searches I did.

BBC News - Thousands spent to bring Mauritius dog Dodo to Aberdeen

Lovely story. Plenty of dogs in this country need homes and the extra money could have been donated to a rescue centre but we all know once you fall in love you'll do anything for them!

Laura :)

RockRomantic likes this.
  2. 2Hounds

2Hounds PetForums VIP

Thats a nice story :) I read on another forum of someone's parents in America fell in love with a stray dog while on holiday in greece (i think) and worked with a local rescue to bring it home.

Often dogs abroad don't have as much hope of finding a good home as they do here and face more cruelty. Personally i don't think it matters where the dog gets rescued from as they could of easily of just decided to buy a pup instead. Maybe getting the rescue dog will encourage the owners and others that donated to continue fundraising so will help other dogs, i know i've donated more since adopting my dogs.

3. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

We'd do anything for our babies wouldn't we?! :D

I wasn't meaning it was a bad thing that they adopted a dog abroad - I was just pointing out it was an option. I know you're not flaming me for saying that but just wanted to clarify incase I sounded mean saying that! :)

I rescued my last dog and she was the most loving, obedient and faithful dog ever and for every day I had her I couldn't believe my luck - she was an amazing dog. Totally devoted to us and obviously grateful. I'm so glad she decided to trust me (when I first got her she was nervy when I even reached out to pet her but that changed quickly!) and I can't believe someone ever treated her badly or that she was ever in the rescue and that I got her! My lovely girl.

I hope the new owners of Dodo have such a wonderful experience as I did.

Laura :)

4. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I know someone in the process of bringing a dog she rescued in Jordan, desert dog it's only 3 months old according to the vet, back to the US with her. It's going to cost a lot but apparently the dog would just be shot if she left it there

5. Shamen

Shamen Guest

what a wonderful story, Dodo is a very lucky little dog bless her.

6. dee o gee

dee o gee PetForums VIP

Fair play to them. Last time I was in Lanzarote I wanted to bring home a stray cat, poor thing was so skinny and I suspected deaf as she had no reaction to sounds whatsoever. Fed and watered her everyday but the maids in the apartments would shoo her away when they came in. Always wondered what came of her, unfortunately im sure the same fate of every stray cat. :( There's so many stray starving cats over there that it broke my heart to go home to my big fat lump knowing what a cruel life they lead. :(

7. RockRomantic

RockRomantic Gobsh!te

what a lovely story

8. dobermum

dobermum PetForums Senior

No matter the animal, if they find us, they find us, and if they're in our hearts, it's hard to ignore that. I would do absolutely anything in my power to bring a dog home from another country, they are just to valuable and immeasurable and priceless to leave behind.

I remember being sick, literally, when I worked with a woman many years ago, and she came back to Scotland from South Africa. She was overjoyed to find that I was owned by Dobes, then she proceeded to tell me that rather than bring hers over (not sure at that time she was allowed or put off by the quarantine) she had them pts :eek::eek::scared: as she could not live with the thought of anyone else owning them.

I think I actually had to go home that day from work as I wanted home to my furkids to hug them forever and really didn't wanna be like one second apart from them.

I was real upset by her story, and it was something that I would never ever have even contemplated doing had I been in her situation.

I am so happy this couple can bring their lil furkid home.

I wish them luck!

D x

1 person likes this.
  9. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

aw that is wonderful, what a caring couple. I am so glad there are people like that still in this cruel selfish world :)

10. Shamen

Shamen Guest

aw thats awful i just dont know how she could live with herself:frown2:

11. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I reckon she could live with herself cause she new that her dogs would never be ill treated be in a pound or end up living on the streets....

TBH I was chatting about my horse yesterday to a mate... And I actually said I don't know where she is now (had to sell her xmas 08, no choice) and I would rather have a phonecall saying she had been PTS rather than not knowing for the rest of my life if she is ok...

So tbh I see where this lady is coming from... Once they are out of your hands who knows what happens to them as you no longer have a say. :~(

Lovely story about that dog though..

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice