Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Couple of Prefix Questions

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Dozymoo, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

Hi All,

A couple of questions on Prefixes.

Does anyone know of any other breed clubs which are willing to sign prefix applications immediately after joining? I've got to wait another 5 months with my breed club and I'd love to at least try and get my prefix sorted before we have our first litter (even if it is a long shot! ;)). The next GCCF prefix application meeting is Sept 9th so it might just be possible if I pull my finger out! ;);)

Also, how does the GCCF decide if a Prefix choice is adequately different to an already existing prefix? Is there a set number of letters difference that are required? Or if it about the sound of a prefix name? :confused:

I've come up with a few different ideas but then I check the list of registered prefixes and occasionally there is something similar but different already in existance. Not sure how close you can be.

Thanks xx

2. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

I am waiting to find out about the first question too.

Many breeders say "no" but the one I bought Poppy from said you had to be with them for a year.

I am going to send mine off to TBRCC and keep my fingers crossed.

Not too sure about pre-fix lettering. I have chose one that's nothing like anything. Not telling anyone it though, well apart from person who suggested it! :blushing: :D

3. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

I think most breed clubs insist on the 12 month rule.

I have heard that some clubs will sign a prefix application straight away if you pay for 12 months membership but I do not know which one's.

The Birman Cat Club that I am a member of will not sign mine for 12 months so all I can do is wait although I would love to have my prefix before first litter :(

In terms of accepting it I believe it has to be at least 2 letters different from any other prefix.

Try googling the prefix you would like and see if anything comes up.

4. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Have a look on the GCCF website - they have a (huge!!) list of ALL prefixes past & present, so you can see if the one you want is already gone or too close. I'm pretty sure it's 2 letters different... I seem to remember something about it not looking or sounding the same as an existing one but could be wrong there. Brand names, towns and places are out (or supposed to be, some do slip through from time to time as you will see on the list).

Dozymoo likes this.
  5. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

Thank you for this. I have checked the gccf doc many times. I knew you weren't allowed to use places and brand names. If you are allowed 2 letters difference then it should all be fine. I just wasn't sure if there are any other criteria to consider. Now I just need to decide on one I like. My favourite is quite quirky but maybe doesn't give out the impression I'm after.

With regards to the breed clubs I thought I might be pushing my luck, but thought it wouldn't hurt to try. If anyone would prefer to pm me, please feel free! ;)

xx

6. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

It doesn't have to be a breed club.

7. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

Opps sorry! That was a typo. I meant cat clubs. :):)

Thank you guys for the advice! It looks like my first litter is going to be registered under the admin prefix Adniosh then. Actually, that's not so bad. I couldn't even pronounce some of the administrative prefixes from the 1990's and 80's! :D:D

xx

8. bimbleweb

bimbleweb PetForums Member

As far as admin prefixes go, Adniosh is not too bad. All of my fur babies have that. You could put your choice of prefix as a 'middle' name ;) x

Dozymoo likes this.
  9. Soupie

Soupie PetForums Senior

The Maidstone and Medway Cat Club does not require you to wait 12 months

Dozymoo likes this.
  10. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

That's a good idea! Hadn't thought of that, thanks! xx

11. Dozymoo

Dozymoo PetForums VIP

Thanks for that! Much appreciated. xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice