Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Couple desperately seeks male kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by David Butler, Apr 30, 2020.

1. David Butler

David Butler PetForums Newbie

Hi :)
    My girlfriend and I are looking to adopt/home a male kitten. We are both massive animal lovers who have had pets at various stages throughout our lives. Our previous cat had 6 kittens, which we helped raise before rehoming them all, so we are well versed in looking after cats. We are not looking for a particular breed of cat and are open to suggestion.

We live in a small but cosy one-bedroom basement flat with access to an outside area, away from main roads, with plenty of friendly neighbouring cats for company.
    We are located in Leeds (LS7/Chapel Allerton) and neither of us drives so we will have to discuss delivery options.

Sadly only a week ago I fell victim to a scam where I paid a £50 deposit for a kitten only to be blocked as soon as the deposit was paid!! That person has now been reported to the police as well as the fraud action team. So, while I do have a small budget and can discuss covering any transport costs I am only wanting to hear back from serious people who are genuinely wanting to home a kitten to good people.
    No time wasters, please!!
    I look forward to hearing from you :)

Attached Files:

2. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

Have you thought of a rescue?
    I don't know how it is all working with the lockdown with rescue centres, many places aren't currently rehoming, but it's worth looking into. We live close to you, and we rescued our Holly from Bluecross Rescue in Thirsk. There are also plenty of local rescues in the Leeds area, but I don't know what happens as regards to home checks or visiting the rescue centres themselves, I guess you'd have to find out from individual places. I do know that many places simply aren't rehoming, but some are. It certainly will be more restricted, but any rehoming/visiting is obviously restricted.
    Technically, a rescue centre is probably regarded as not-essential, so you might have to wait until lockdown is over.

Some rescue centres can be quiet fussy where they place their cats, other places are less fussy, but most places simply want to find the right cat for the right home and people. Some of the websites have pictures and a bit of the background and personality of each cat, so you can see which cats are suitable for you.

#2 Jackie C, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    ewelsh, Shrike and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. lea247

lea247 PetForums VIP

Hello and welcome!

How unfortunate you were a victim of such a thing. At least it was 'only' £50 - I've heard of people being scammed out of £100s!

I must say that with not being able to drive, you should really make use of public transport and be prepared to travel. If you want a pedigree then the good breeders will be very reluctant to sell a kitten to someone who hasn't visited or to a courier. You can pick up things from meeting a person you just can't over Skype etc. There was a sibling of my cat who the breeder said was going to his new home on the train. The kitten was born in Birmingham and it's new home was somewhere near Norwich if I remember correctly!

How about looking at rescues if you don't want to travel far? I'm sure there's plenty around Leeds for you to easily be able to get to using public transport.

chillminx likes this.
  4. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

opps, posted by accident

5. Jackie C

Jackie C Cat slave

There are tonnes of rescues in Leeds. Unfortunately, many aren't rehoming at the minute.

It is worth looking on Rescue FB forums.

ewelsh likes this.
  6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I find your title very strange and the fact that you have started five threads on the same topic. Why would you be so "desperate" for a male kitten? The moderators will remove your duplicate threads, as the rules state only one thread per topic.

Contact your local shelters and find out where they are on adoptions. There will be plenty of kittens available, since so many do not spay and neuter as they should.

7. David Butler

Hi. I am completely new to this forum and if posting in various threads is over the top then I do apologise. As for the being "desperate", this is simply because after a 6 months search and finally finding the kitten we thought would be coming into our lives I was scammed instead. I will be contacting rescue centres/shelters as well as taking all feedback I get from you lovely people:)

ewelsh likes this.
  8. David Butler

Hi. I can travel via public transport, that is no problem. If need be I am more than willing to :) I will be checking out rescue centres/shelters soon :)

lea247 likes this.
  9. David Butler

I will definitely look into this, thanks Jackie. My partner and I previously had 2 cats while living in Australia. We left these two with family but now that we are settled and will not be returning we are looking to get our own here in the UK.

10. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

David, please don't post any more duplicate threads, it's not necessary and gets very confusing. I've just deleted the rest, it tookme 20 minute to find them all.
    Good luck with finding a kitten.:)

lorilu and chillminx like this.
  11. Ali71

Ali71 PetForums VIP

I think the main issue with rehoming kittens at the moment via rescue isn't that there aren't any available, its that they are unable to carry out homechecks safely. As you can understand, they pour a lot of time, effort and resources into raising healthy kittens or bringing neglected cats back to full health so they need to make sure the kitten/cat is going to a perfectly matched and safe environment. As others have mentioned, there will be plenty of loving cats available once lockdown is over. You'll also be able to get out to the shops to spoil your new addition a lot easier ;)

lorilu and chillminx like this.
  12. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

Seems odd to me that so many rescues are still insisting on a personal visit for home checks - I'm sure it could be done over a conferencing app on the phone. When I got Brooke from Cats Protection back in 2013 they said they didn't do personal visits anymore and instead went through a checklist with me. I did get the impression that not all branches took that option though.

ewelsh likes this.
  13. David Butler

apologies and thanks

SusieRainbow likes this.
  14. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

The process when I got Jessie was even simpler!
    I rang to enquire if she was still available, was asked if I lived near a busy road. I said no and that was it.

15. David Butler

I have just looked online and most rescue centres are not rehoming or allowing adoption during this lockdown and the ones that are open do not currently have kittens, just adult cats avaialble for adoption. The search continues....

16. Ofelia Lorene

Ofelia Lorene PetForums Junior

Please stick it out and wait until rescues reopen - there are so many cats desperate for homes (as desperate as you are to give one a home!). It'll be so worth the wait :)

lorilu likes this.
  17. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Be very careful if you're going to buy one from a private seller.
    Apart from another scammer (which I'm sure you're on the look out for now), a much more common trick is to claim a kitten is much older than it is. We've had quite a few new folk posting, desperately asking for help as their new addition won't eat or have fallen ill. They've also ended up with vet bills running into the hundreds.

Good luck with your search. Come back and let us know when you find him.

18. Rufus15

Rufus15 PetForums VIP

Rescues can still place cats and kittens, provided they drop off to the new home or use a courier, and not all rescues will home check

19. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

Would you not consider an adult? Kittens are kittens for only a very short time after all. A young adult is still fun but independent enough to be left alone if you work during the day.

chillminx, OrientalSlave and ewelsh like this.
  20. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I was quite puzzled by your strange comment "no time-wasters" in a post specifically asking for our advice. It's not as though you are trying to sell us anything is it? ;)

You have been given sound advice by many other members^^. A Rescue kitten or young adult cat may be your best option, There are plenty of kittens in the Shelters at present, but as you discovered most Rescues are closed to the public, because of the need for Shelter staff to be protected from exposure to COVID.

Also many Rescues have staff shortages due to sickness, and the need for vulnerable volunteers to be "shielding" at home. Many Shelters are hard pressed at present to cope with the daily care of the cats and do not have time to attend to visitors.

Whether you are able to drive or not, you would need to visit the Shelter (or the kitten foster carer's home) to see the kittens. You could not expect a member of staff to deliver a kitten to you without having met you, talked to you and made their own assessment of your suitability as an adopter. In fact I would be highly suspicious of anyone who was prepared to deliver a kitten to you by courier, like a parcel, without ever even meeting you!

The Shelter I help to run would also want to carry out a home check before agreeing to you adopting any of our cats or kittens.

The valuable adoption work of the Shelters will, I hope, resume as soon as the lockdown is ended. It may be another 4 to 6 weeks before the Govt says this will happen. A cat, with good care can live to age 20 or more. Is a wait of 6 weeks or so for the right kitten such a hardship?

#20 chillminx, Apr 30, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2020
    Ofelia Lorene, lorilu, lea247 and 2 others like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice