Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Council gas fire

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Domoniques, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Domoniques

Domoniques PetForums Senior

Hi
    I know the council are replacing old fires with elect ones with fire surround but has anyone had a new gas fire fitted , as they have just serviced my gas fire and found it has had the wrong flue fitted for the last 17 years now they have turned off the fire , telling me I can have a nice elect one but I have told them I want a gas one .

2. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

they might not want to put a new gas one in for several reasons:

they will have to redo the whole thing, flue and all and if you don't have a floor vent (which you should have but if you have the wrong flue you might not and they will have to put one in by law). This means that it will cost them more.. also gas pipes used have changed diameter in the last 13 odd years and it maybe more of a faff for them to put a new gas fire in with old pipes.

while it wasn't a problem for us getting new boiler on the old pipes we were paying for it, the council will be less inclined to faff around for more expense.

have to say tho electric ones are quite nice and a tad safer.

no harm in asking them tho. :D

3. Domoniques

Domoniques PetForums Senior

Hi
    The council are now a housing association and have been getting grants to bring all there homes up to standard , They are to put in here a new fitted kitchen including floor , a new bathroom , a new combi boiler with all new radiators so would think it would/might include pipework ,
    mine was left as I was not happy about what I was hearing about the workman ie do a bit leave it for a week come and do a bit more then its wrong and rip it out and start again ( not for me ) I was married to a builder and having dobermanns which the builders wanted to lock out all day ( not a chance ) .
    The big boss is here next week to talk to me so will see what happens .

I am not being picky trust me I owned my own home before and I do consider myself very lucky to have this home and have looked after it as if it was mine ,
    having the bathroom completely re tiled ( which they want to rip off ) put a house alarm in , security lights in and a lot of fencing .

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice