Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

couldnt resist it!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by mindymoo, Jul 28, 2009.

1. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

Not getting our wee Poppy for another 2-3 weeks but have been and bought everything. Couldnt resist setting up her crate today lol it looks soooo cosy and I refuse to put it back down :D

What natural treats can you get for puppies to help crate train??
    I am hoping she will just in on her own and love it :001_tt2:

2. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Not sure about natural treats to be honest with you but i picked up our pup Bella on Fri and i crate train her, i made it super cosy and put her towel in there that had been with her litter mates, a cuddly toy and a chew toy etc... I left it open and kept it relaxed! If she fell asleep outside her crate then i picked her up and popped her in, i dont close the door on her unless im out or at night. The door is open all of the time for her to come and go as she pleases. Touch wood so far she hasnt messed in it once!
    What pup you getting?
    :)

3. mindymoo

Poppy is a Jack Russell :D She is a month old today so we are looking at getting her in bout 3 weeks. Yeah she has cosy bedding in there a teddy to cuddle and a few chew toys, I have a blanky over the top. Gonna get spare bed and blanky for washing days.

Did ur pup go in of its own accord??

The crate will definatley be open all the time except when we are in bed, I want to spend as much time with my littley as poss :D

Attached Files:

4. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Leave it open on the floor, reward her when she goes in. She'll adapt very quickly most dogs love the crates.

5. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Yea she went in by herself and just loves it!!! :)

6. mindymoo

Lets put it this way if I was a puppy I would be well happy to go in there, its prolly good that its quite small cos I might have tried it out lol :D

7. Hb-mini

Hb-mini PetForums VIP

Me and my OH said that! My three year old daughter got in Bellas before she arrived!!:eek:

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Your puppy is gorgous!

Just a not though, you can't expect the puppy to understand only being shut in at night.
    It would be far better to crate her at various points through the day, say when you cant have 100% of your attention on her. Otherwise you could find the nights sleepless! :)

Oh and also I found that feeding the puppy in the crate with the door shut makes them associate the crate with a good thing :)

x

9. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I agree with you that you should feed the pup in there and shut the door, i have always made Logan have an hours lie down after being fed (as i am paranoid about gastric torsion in gsd's) so i have always fed him in his and closed the door, he just eats and then goes to sleep!!

10. Classyellie

Classyellie PetForums VIP

Poppy is just the cutest :)

I had bought everything for Pippa by the time she was 3 weeks old :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice