Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Could Zylkene be the answer?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by robedha, Sep 29, 2013.

1. robedha

robedha PetForums Member

Willow is still scratching her ears quite a bit and they now have no fur at all. :frown5: I don't think it's mites but I'll take her to the vet to be on the safe side.
    I'm now starting to think it might be stress as she really wants to play with Millie but gets growled at if she approaches too fast. I noticed earlier that when this happened Willow started to groom herself. I'm not sure if this was just coincidence as I haven't noticed it earlier.
    Anyway, after a bit of searching on this forum I came across several mentions of Zylkene and was wondering if this might help Willow. She is otherwise happy and still comes to great me when I come home and still sleeps on and in my bed overnight. Does anyone have experience of using Zylkene in similar circumstances?

2. nightkitten

nightkitten PetForums VIP

I gave Zylkene to Wilbur when I first introduced Karm and Giddit. You have to be aware that Zylkene should only be given to cats that are not confident as it does boost their confidence.

Have you tried Feliway? This could calm her so she stops overgrooming.

But as you said yourself, take her to the vet first to rule out any illnesses.

3. robedha

robedha PetForums Member

I have feliway plugged in but not sure if it's making any difference.
    Where did you read about it giving confidence to cats? Most of what I've read says it calms them down. Surely giving them confidence is the opposite?

4. jaycee05

jaycee05 PetForums VIP

It does calm them down,i have used it on one of my cats who was very stressed by my daughters cat, when she came to live with me for a few months, her cat was a big black cat who used to stare at mine through my living room door,which has glass panels, after giving her zylkene she mostly ignored him, I didn't find feliway much good really when I tried it, and itsv also very expensive,i would use zylkene again

5. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

It gives confidence to cats, so if a cat is being agressive because of stress or fear, Zylkene helps them realise that things will be Ok, hence the calming. If the cat is being agressive because it simply doesn't like the other cat and wants to defend its territory, Zylkene will increase that confidence, and thus, the agression.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice