UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone

I have a lab x border collie who is almost 2. I got him as a rescue about 4 months ago.

Occasionally when we are walking, and particularly after a lot of running about, his rear right leg seems to suddenly "give way" under him. It is only for one step and he recovers immediately and shows absolutely no sign of pain.

Might this be an early sign of hip trouble, or does anyone have any other thoughts?

I shall ask the vet next time I am there, but as he is not at all bothered by it, it doesn't seem worth a special trip at the moment.

Many thanks for any input

·
Registered
17,693 Posts
It maybe but not sure, we only noticed Banjo had a problem because he had jumped up to catch a ball & landed realy badly :eek: I did'nt expect him to get up but he did & seemed fine, I kept a closer eye on him as thought he must have hurt his back, then a few weeks later he was limping on his left front leg so was very surprised to find out he had HD & back problems because of it, but they compensate with other legs etc :( His bad hip isnt to bad & occasionally gets stiff in that leg & limps, his main problem is his back he was 3.5 when diagnosed.

Maybe a trip to the vet in the near future with him being a Lab x, the vet will be able to tell by examination if there is a possible problem before deciding if xray's are needed. At least you will know what you are dealing with before he does more damage to other parts of his body & hopefully if he has you can get away with diet & moderate excersise treatment.

I would'nt worry untill you know for shore though he may just be built like that, but maybe ease up on his runing & definately no fast charging after anything like a tennis ball from a thrower :rolleyes: & try not to let him jump all very hard with a young dog I know. x

·
Banned
22,188 Posts
Does your dog exhibit any signs of real effort when rising from the floor after a long lie down?
Does he ever limp?
Does he skip off the effected leg?
Does your dog just decide to lie down on long walks and show distinct signs of a reluctance to go any further?
All the above were symptoms of Oscars Hip Dysplasia. He was approx 10 months.
Perhaps just a general phone call to the Vet might put your mind at ease?

·
Registered
951 Posts
Could be the knees.... that what was happening to daisy. One minute she'd be fine and then i'd see her doing it again. My OH convinced me I was being silly but i took her to the vets anyway and turned out she has quite serious, highly graded luxating patellas so both her knees dislocate.

I would take her to the vets. For peace of mind if nothing else, that's why i went!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.