Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Could there be something wrong with my hamsters?

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by KayElleDee, Jun 7, 2010.

1. KayElleDee

KayElleDee PetForums Member

i bought 2 female chinese dwarf hamsters a week ago. and since we got them, between them they have drank about an inch of water down a hamster water bottle, and as for food, i havent even had to refil the dish yet, theyve eaten maybe a centimeter of food between the pair of them, theyve barely eaten a thing! plus i read that hamsters are nocturnal, which has been the case with all the other hamsters ive had. theyve slept all day and then woken at night and been nosie buggers. but these 2 are awake all day running around playing and chasing each other through the tubes and then sleep on a night..is this weird??

Also, do chinese dwarfs store food like syrians do? these pair are my first chinese dwarfs, all my other hamsters have been syrians, so i dont know if this is normal behaviour for them? :confused1:

2. Emmiiee

Emmiiee PetForums Senior

i have a robo and a winter white, so maybe different for different types, it took over a week for them to settle, and they really hardly drink anything, they don't eat very much either,I don't think they store food, as i always see mine eat what food they get :/ and they do wake up in the day, have a little run around and then go back to sleep lol x

3. dee o gee

dee o gee PetForums VIP

That sounds about normal, mine never drank very much either, and the food dish only needed to be topped up every few days. From looking at the pics on the other thread the food bowl you have for them is huge so it'l take a long while for them to get through it! :D When I had dwarfs they used to store food but not nearly as much as my syrian does at the moment, I stopped putting her food in bowls as all she done was empty the whole bowl and store it somewhere, whereas my dwarfs use to just take the nicest few bits and put them somewhere. Theres another thread where I described the nocturnal habits of my syrian, but my dwarfs when they were younger were a lot like yours but as they got older they slept more and more.

4. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Hamsters do not eat or drink much anyway. But I have been a little worried as my new baby syrian has not eaten much at all recently...but drank normal amounts. I think the heat might have an affect. Keep an eye on them...but as long as they are running about, not scratching, not lethargic and still eating and drinking like "normal" then they're fine. And congrats ohn the new arrivals! xx

5. Emmiiee

Emmiiee PetForums Senior

in the summer, once or twice a week, i give them abit of carrot or tomato, something with water in, so they get the extra water without actually drinking it lol x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice