UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't been on for a while, but i need your thoughts and opinions.
Lexi is just over 7months old and yesterday while rubbing her belly i noticed her fur around her 'lady bits' was bloody not alot, but it was red in colour.
I had noticed she had been cleaning herself a bit more then normal over the last week and also going to the toilet more(We have been having the door open so she has spent most of the day outside and she seems to wee more often when she in the garden) so thought she may be in season.
I have not seen any other signs, nothing on the floor or bedding and today there is no blood around her 'bits' so i am not sure if she is.
Any thoughts anyone? How can i tell or know for sure?

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Yep def sounds like it...some dogs keep themselves really clean so you can hardly tell.

Is she a bit swollen down there too?

You can normally tell by getting a white piece of tissue and gently pressing on her bits...you can then see a slight pinky/reddy colour to confirm she is in season.

·
Banned
21,573 Posts
Tissue testing is one of the best ways to tell, as posted, and usually after they've been resting, get some kitchen roll and press it against her vulva, if she's in season you will be able to tell.

Another good way to find out is to pop a white towel or sheet where she normally lays down, that will also show up any spotting.

Tau swells up quite obviously, but not until she's actually in season, and then she keeps her self quite clean. Definitely restrict her movements and keep an eye on her, it only takes seconds for a tie to happen.

·
Registered
13,034 Posts
Yep def sounds like it...some dogs keep themselves really clean so you can hardly tell.

Took the words right out of my hands :thumbup:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

You can normally tell by getting a white piece of tissue and gently pressing on her bits...you can then see a slight pinky/reddy colour to confirm she is in season.
Thanks for the quick replies.
She doesn't look swollen or anything! If it wasn't for the bloody fur, i wouldn't have know any difference. I will give the tissue test a go.
What is making me think it isn't a season, is with her being only 7months( i know it can happen young in large breeds) and other then a slight discolouration on her fur no other real signs today at all.
I was expecting more signs, but i am also worrying incase it's a uti.

·
Registered
12,684 Posts
The first thing i noticed was the swelling, i was quite alarmed really she was huge my first girl so didnt know just what to expect, she bled quite a lot for just over a week, she will be spayed before her next t.b.h i hated it i found it so stressfull and really hard work. The bleeding you have seen certainly sounds like her season but i did think you would see some swelling.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.