Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Could my child be allergic to our dog??

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by weeziebutton, Apr 15, 2011.

1. weeziebutton

weeziebutton PetForums Junior

Our little boy is nearly a year and after 6 months of constant cold like symptoms and now wheezing he has been put on inhalers. He cant be tested for asthma or allergies until he is older. He doesnt sleep well at all and we are very tired parents! My question is has anyone been in a similar situationa nd was it pet related? We have a labradoodle that moults terribly and even with constant hoovering etc, dog hairs get everywhere. We brush her and clip her regularly. Our home is open plan so its hrad to confine her but we wouldnt want to anyway as shes always been allowed anywhere in the house, although doesnt go upstairs because of the stair gates. I would never put the health of my child before a pet, but she is a much loved family pet and wouldnt want to rehome her unless we knew 100% he was ill because of a dog :(

2. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

He could be my daughter we found is very slightly allergic to ours it can make her excema on the back of her leg flare but then so does prolonged playing in the pool does

Hers is stored by steroid cream once a week
    Now but she is also older then your little one

I would speak to the doc they might be able to test him earlier x

3. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

I was like this when I was younger, but we never had any pets when I was a child. So it could just be asthma.

4. Argent

Argent PetForums VIP

I had the exact same symtoms and difficulty sleeping for a whole year before I was diagnosed with asthma and allergies to my rats. I'm on inhalers and Cetirizine (1 tiny tablet a day) and it's cured me outright...well, it keeps it under control, if I stop taking them, the symptoms come back >.<

5. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

Is there anyone in the family who could look after the dog for a few weeks (clean house top to bottom) to see if the symptoms improve ?

6. weeziebutton

I`m sure mum in law would have her, but she gets shouted at a lot when shes round there and it really upsets me. I take Lily everywhere with me but I`m thinking of stopping taking her there as the shouting is just getting ridiculous.
    I`m back at docs with the wee man next week. Finding it hard with the inhalers as the wee monkey just holds his breath!

7. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

Have you decided that you are just going to rehome her now instead?

8. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

My brother was asthmatic as a child and had syptoms like you describe even when we didnt have a dog
    I hope you find a solution :001_smile:

9. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

Does he have a ventilator? or just the puffa inhalor?

Its easier with the ventilator as you can make that into a great story like "blow into the spaceship to send the aliens back home etc"

10. weeziebutton

Yes hes got a ventilator but everytime I put it over his mouth and nose he just holds his breath and squirms! No idea if hes getting anything at all!

I really dont want to rehome our dog, especially if it makes no difference, but unfortunately hubby disagrees with me (as per usual) :(

11. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

Yes...thought that may be the case. I saw your ad :(

12. Pointermum

Pointermum PetForums VIP

There are some very kind souls on here, it might be worth asking someone to foster him for a month and see if it improves. As i do feel you owe it both to your son to see if his health improves and also give the dog the chance to stay in his loving home if his not the issue. You would probably only need a few weeks i guess to see if there was any improvement. Maybe worse case put him in kennel for two weeks, mine are of to them for a week soon as we are having a holiday this year.

13. BenMac

BenMac PetForums Senior

I live just down the road from OP myself...if I hadn't just brought Bailey into the house, i'd certainly have tried to help out. Bailey's taking a wee while to settle in so that's a no go unfortunately :(

14. lunarlikes

lunarlikes PetForums Junior

Hi there, myself and my daughter both are allergic to dogs, but we have found a breed that we can tolerate.

But it does take a lot of work.

We have a huge air purifyer in the living room that cost us nearly £200, we use Petalcleanse on the dog a week-it takes the allergen out of the coat i.e dander (dead skin cells). There is also a product to spray soft furnishings with called allergymatters and this also kills dander,salivca etc. and we use dettol and WIPE away off wooden floorings,walls ect. You have to wipe it off as dander is very sticky. But it is worth the effort and once into a routine with it, it just becomes part of daily living.

Let me know what you think

#14 lunarlikes, Apr 15, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2011
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice