Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Could anyone spare a couple of hours a week emailing?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by puptopia, Apr 14, 2011.

1. puptopia

puptopia PetForums Newbie

SENDING OUT AN SOS
    Does anyone, any area have a few hours a week to spare to potentially save dogs from a fate worse than death? There have been several cases recently of dogs advertised Free to Good Home being used as bait dogs to train fighting dogs.:mad:
    A friend of mine has been so moved by this she is spending 2 hours every night emailing people advertising dogs to free homes, advising them of the perils and informing them how to check potential owners and keep their dogs safe. There are so many out there, she needs a bit more help! If you would like to pitch in, I can provide email templates co-ordination and support, even just two or three hours a week could save a dogs life or help prevent it ending up in a living hell.
    Many thanks :)

2. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

Im already doing this with any animals in the Northamptonshire area. Especially rabbits as I know a few people who take these FTGH rabbits and use them as prey for their dogs.

3. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

I do try to do this but you've just reminded me I needed to do more. Do you think it would be an idea trying to get these websites to do something about it? The main culprits like Gumtree etc.? It's sad because some people are just naive and think if they go for free the people will be more genuine, but it's not that way at all :(

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I could spare a bit of time at the moment, but couldn't do it all the time. Would that help at all? :)

5. puptopia

I didn't know that, about the rabbits very sad but somehow unsurprising. :( Most pps who advertise FTGH animals do genuinely want the best for their pets but are just naive about what evil scumbags are out there unfortunately

I have contacted Gumtree, Preloved and local free ads newspapers and I know others have but they have shown no interest :mad: yes by all means get in touch with them the more pressure the better.

Thank you both for replying and caring, I do realise this is just the tip of a very nasty iceberg but strongly feel it's worth it just to even save one dog and raise awareness

6. puptopia

It most definitely WOULD help I always think it's better to do even a tiny bit than nothing at all, I will be in touch thank you :)

7. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

I occassionly try to do this, but I should try to do it more often. One email could save one innocent dogs life,so its defiantly worth doing. Can't promise a certain amoUnt of time doing it but will try my best to do it at least for 1/2 hours a week, is this any help? :). If soo,please could you send some templates? As I would love to help. :)

#7 portiaa, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  8. shibby

shibby PetForums VIP

There definitely needs to be more awareness of it and I think these websites should put a warning on there, it is there duty (or should be). I will email them too and ask a few friends to do the same.

9. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I do it.. but I generally get really rude replies telling me they love their dog/cat/rabbit very much and are going to me making sure its a good home.

Thing is, when I see things like that I am very good at lying to get the dog out of there and then putting it through rescue, so I know that other people must be as good or even better at lying to get a free dog to set dogs on etc.

10. Phoenix&Charlie'sMum

Phoenix&Charlie'sMum PetForums VIP

As long as the owners of the pets actually do homechecks and properly check out the people who take these dogs, then it can work out for the best. Sometimes people cant wait to rehome their dogs, I.E getting removed from housing, and FTGH is prob the quickest way to find a new home rather than being on the street.

Waiting lists for rescue is getting awful at the minute - i should know and sometimes we just cant help those in desperate need.

#10 Phoenix&Charlie'sMum, Apr 14, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  11. JayLib

JayLib PetForums Member

You can add me to the list too - again not sure exactly how much I can do on a regular basis but please feel free to holler if I can help!

12. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I'll do it! Got nothing much else to do at the moment. Does it actually do any good, though? People giving their animals away think they are doing the right thing, not wanting any money just a good home.

13. JayLib

JayLib PetForums Member

I guess it's an education exercise....

14. L/C

L/C PetForums VIP

I do this quite a lot. Most of the time I'm ignored and I don't hear anything but sometimes it works out. I've managed to get 2 greyhounds into rescue this way - one who is in a foster home at the moment looking for a forever home. I've also done homechecks for people and I like to think it makes a bit of a difference.

And sneaky plug for Izzy - our latest girl to come from Pre-loved:

Izzy - sweet, female greyhound - living in a home - Kent Greyhound Rescue | Kent Greyhound Rescue | Rehoming Greyhounds and Lurchers

15. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Presumably you have approached Gumtree etc to request they do not place 'free to good home' adds?

Have you thought about asking your local MP to write to Gumtree, preloved etc might add more weight to your request especially if his/her letter is accompanied by a petition from his constituents.

16. paşa's mummy

paşa's mummy PetForums Member

i can do some, ive already been doing this when i came across them. some people just ignore me but most are thankful especially when i tell them about the lady who rehomed her GSD and later found it was used as a bait dog and killed< only identified by its chip!!! i cant do it all the time but will when ever i can. came you send me the templates please.

17. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

I can aswell :) I do at times and tell people on Facebook etc

18. puptopia

My local MP is Nick Clegg :mad2: but yes that is an excellent idea, I have emailed GUmtree etc myself and so have a few others I know but they don't seem interested :(

Just to clarifyI don't think FTGH is always a bad thing, just that people need to be aware of the risks and what checks they can do on potential owners. Obviously nothing is full proof but the harder it is for these low-lifes to get their hand's on innocent pets the happier I shall be!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice