Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Couch to 5K Failure

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by rona, Nov 7, 2018.

1. rona

rona Still missing my boys

After failing miserably two years ago to even get past week one, I'm now about to start week three of couch to 5K.
    I really don't think after managing the last two weeks relatively easily that this programme is encouraging the people it is supposed to be aimed at.
    Two years ago I had spent three years with virtually no substantial exercise due to having an old dog that suffered separation anxiety. When I tried to run, 30seconds was out of my reach let alone 1minute which is the level for week one,
    I'm a pretty determined individual, but even I felt deflated by not reaching the lower level set by this programme aimed at people supposedly just like me. I did try to carry on, setting my own criteria for a month programme just to get to the 1minute run, however I broke a small bone in my foot and had to stop.
    I've spent the last two years getting fit in other ways with no set programme, but I feel there should be other programmes that need to be created for those people that truly need to get fit. I know people who get out of breath just walking a few hundred yards. They'd look at couch to 5K and not even bother.

Have any of you failed couch to 5K?

2. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

I haven't done it Rona but i can tell you that you can do it. I was a fat smoking 30 year old when i took up mountain biking and couldn't get more than 20 yards up a particular hill (favorite forest with great downhills you see) that went on for about 1/2 a mile then went into a snarly 300yd uphill single track. I'll be honest i thought i'd never get up it then one day (about 2 months after) i not only got up it but got a way up the snarly track, then a month later made it all the way up the snarly one too, both times i could not stop grinning. Please when you get to your 5k take a pic coz it WILL be a special day...........Go for it Rona :)

Matrod, LinznMilly, rona and 4 others like this.
  3. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

I wouldn't even attempt it, not my bag! Just does not appeal, too much of a fair weather outdoorswoman, me. Running on the spot on the Wii Fit is as far as my jogging will ever take me, I don't mind doing 20 minuts of that... ;)

LinznMilly and rona like this.
  4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I don' understand why you think it's not aimed at people it's supposed to be as I know loads of people who have completed this programme,; some easily, some not so easily.

I am one of those people, although not sure what group I fall in to!! Whilst I could walk for mile I could never run I didn't run at school(always skived PE) & have never really run in my adult life. I hated running, it made me feel sick, my legs didn't seem to go fast, I couldn't breathe ..... why would people do this for fun?!

Then after some health problems I made some changes & one evening I went out for a run. I hated it but I needed to do something & running was cheap & something I could do outside (I have never been to a gym & never intend to). I then started doing the Couch to 5k (not the NHS app tho) & it changed my life. I didn't find it easy at first, I had to do some of the weeks a couple of times but I went from not being able to run for 1 min to running 5-6miles pretty quickly.

I run several times a week now & I really enjoy it. As well as having drastic changes to my body (lost weight, more muscular, stronger, less back pain, etc) it has been so beneficial to my mental health & helped massively with my anxiety.

There are loads of apps available to use for fitness depending on what you want. My mum is 78 & has downloaded several (tai chi, etc) so if you look you will find something to suit.

5. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

Yep - more than once.
    I discovered an America trainer and ultra runner Jeff Galloway who advocates interval running and I follow his plans.
    I enjoy this so much more - I dont get bored.
    However saying that I haven't run since before summer (it was just to hot) But I have signed up for 2 online challenges in support of MIND "Run up to Christmas" and "R.E.D January"
    So hopefully I'll get my motivation back.

rona and O2.0 like this.
  6. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I dont actually know what this is. Im not able to run anyway . I just be happy if I could walk that distance!

LinznMilly and rona like this.
  7. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Is this from a free app or something? If so, I'm not quite sure what the expectation of it is.

If you really want to get fit and have a totally tailored experience you'd need to spend money and get a personal trainer.

For those that can't afford that, I think apps like this are really good. If the one you try first isn't cutting it, try a different one maybe.

rona likes this.
  8. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

I think if you want to be successful at exercise , you have to enjoy the exercise itself. Cycling is good exercise and less stress on the joints than running.

Animallover26, Elles, rona and 3 others like this.
  9. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

This makes me smile so much! I still remember your first forays in to running and that magical moment when you found yourself actually enjoying it :D

And I so agree with you about the mental health aspect :) For me, it's almost like there is a primal need being met when I am outside, using my body, filling my lungs with the smells of the woods, the moss... It's healing in so many ways. I read one time about how our gut microbiome isn't the only one we need to keep healthy, that our airways have a microbiome too, and that most of us need to spend more time outside, breathing air near nature. And it went on to say that any areas where ferns grow are especially good. Anyway, I know that for me, getting out on the trails to run is essential to my overall well-being.

@rona I hate all the techie apps. OH runs too and he is a total gear-head, loves his Strava, wants to get one of those expensive watches, is convinced by every youtube reviewer that he needs compression socks, *these* gloves, *this* hydration pack... I am the yang to his ying and am as minimalist as I can get while still being safe.
    OH is all about different programs and training plans. Me? I just go out there and see what happens. I got out of shape a while ago after surgery, and when I got back in shape, I started out walking up the hill our road is on and running down as far as I could go. Up and down, up and down. Some would find that insanely boring, I found the monotony meditative. I did that for months little by little noticing that I could go farther and farther before having to stop.

Do whatever works for you. I know a lot of people who do different couch to 5K apps and love it. I don't see it working for me, I don't like being told what to do :D

Cleo38, LinznMilly and kimthecat like this.
  10. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I forget who coined the adage, but basically:
    What is the best form of exercise?
    The one you will do.
    ;)

I like running because I can do it anywhere, doesn't need specialized equipment, and it gets me outside.

11. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

Only running I do is around a tennis court :D:D:D

Yes, I do realise that tennis is 80% movement, I do tell my feet to move they don't always listen though :D

The couch to 5k has never appealed to me, running in general has never appealed to me. Is it really that demanding? I was put off by the running aspect.

What I have found since Mont has gotten older and doesn't want to go every day is that I'm happy to let him do this but it's not doing me any good, weight gain etc.

I need to move more, find a walking route that warms me up and then a couple of hills to power walk up. Used to have a lovely route then the council bulldozed it.

In London its easier for me to hit my step target, here I need a car, buses are useless and its miles to anywhere.

rona likes this.
  12. cat001

cat001 PetForums VIP

I got to running 5k regularly before I even knew it was a thing. I was always super unfit but started cycling to and from a friends house regularly who lived 5 miles away. I’d go bright red and have my airways seize up gasping for air but stuck with it. I then got gym membership and started using the treadmill once a week (later on twice a week then whenever I could), starting with 30 min walks with the occasionally 30 second jog. Then it went up to 1 minute jogs, then 2 minutes and so on until I was routinely doing 5k on treadmill, and now I do 5miles outdoors. More recently I completed 10 mile tough mudder and it all started with cycling to a friends house.

#12 cat001, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    tabelmabel, O2.0, LinznMilly and 2 others like this.
  13. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

yup, I failed at the couch to 5k too!:Shy
    Spent several months attempting it and really cracking down on my diet but I couldnt lose any weight. I was only going to stick with it if I could lose weight as well as I dont think my joints would last long trying to run at my current weight! Now I just stick with walking instead.

rona likes this.
  14. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

kimthecat and rona like this.
  15. westie~ma

westie~ma ~ In my shed ~
    Staff Member

16. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

Me too! Nope, not for me - didn't even like riding my bike much as a kid... Wouldn't feel safe riding a bike on the roads today! Exercise bikes I don't mind, though.

westie~ma and LinznMilly like this.
  17. rona

I just can't get into cycling, the saddle hurts, my arms hurt and the angle that you sit just isn't healthy for any joints.

It's not too demanding if you already have a decent level of fitness, but I don't think it was originally devised for people who are already fit or motivated.

See, you are the type of person I'm talking about. I thought couch to 5K was supposed to be aimed at people like you but I feel it's a bit demotivating to those that really need it.
    Well done for trying anyway.
    Do you like swimming?

kimthecat likes this.
  18. rona

Thank you and well done.

I didn't complete the first run of week three just before going to lunch with my sister. Last run pushed me a bit but I feel it will be easier by the end of the week. I must admit that every time I up it and succeed it gives me a little boost.
    It's just I worry that those that can't even reach level one will be disappointed and put off of trying any exercise thinking they are past help :(

kimthecat likes this.
  19. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

20. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I had been cycling 18 miles a day until I was forced to move house, now it's not worth getting togged up as I can walk it in about 25 minutes, so the cycling has reduced drastically. Been going out twice a week for a bit now, but the Tuesday evening rides are now pitch black so it really isn't much fun. It's a goal though eh? :Nailbiting

rona likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice