Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Cotton tail rescue

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Hancan92, Apr 15, 2019.

1. Hancan92

Hancan92 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I’m wondering if anyone can shed some light on my current situation.

I’ve worked in rescues for many years and have hand reared a variety of animals successfully, however a week ago I took on 7 wild rabbit kits all looking to be around 7-8ish days old. They progressed well, eyes and ears opened, gained weight daily, urinated and pooped on their own, fur filled out and just started nibbling on hay and grass.

I woke up this morning and nothing seemed wrong, all fed well and seemed bright, alert and responsive. I would say 5 hours later one by one, each kit started having a seizure, rolling on the ground and paddling all four limbs whilst gasping for breath and eventually died. It’s come as a complete shock as they all seemed healthy and hitting age related milestones.

I’m aware of such things as E. Cuniculi and VHD but have been told E.C is rare in wild rabbits, and don’t know how they would of come into contact with VHD within the last couple of days.

I don’t know if anyone has any ideas as to what could of caused this. I’m just looking for a bit of closure I suppose as it’s devastating and not knowing is driving me a little mad!

Thanks I’m advance.

2. Corneal

Corneal PetForums Member

wild rabbits are more likley to have fleas, mites, and diseases since they dont get vacinated and theur parents could have had contact with rats, bird poop and other gross stuff, it possible they were born with these illnesses as their parents passed it on while in the womb

3. Hancan92

Hancan92 PetForums Newbie

This was my first thought, I just find it strange that they all died on the same day, within hours of each other and it wasn’t a little more staggered. I guess if the incubation period of a possible disease is up then they will display symptoms all at the same time.

Thanks for the reply! x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice