Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cotton just had her first bath - please help!!!!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by sequeena, Aug 15, 2009.

1. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I've never given a cat a bath before but I had to give Cotton one as she had still had empty flea eggs in her fur.

I used lukewarm water, didn't touch her face or her ears and I've dried her off. She wasn't a fan of the water but she didn't scram the life out of me.

She's shivering now, is this through fear? Should I be worried? I've wrapped her in my fleece bathgown and she's huddled against my chest.

She's cleaning herself now, am I just worrying for the sake of it?

:confused:

2. Cat_Crazy

Cat_Crazy PetForums VIP

Aww bless her!

It is most likely a combination if being a bit shook up and a bit cold from the water.

Just give her a big cuddle and she will be absolutely fine!

Bet she looks lovely and fluffy now she's wet lol

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Phew, I was thinking she would be suffering from pneumonia or something LOL

She looked like a little rat at first but now she looks gorgeous :D

And she's obviously still my friend because she's purring :eek:

4. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

No, they always seem to shiver. Even when it's 30 degrees and you've done them a massive favour by cooling them down...

I sit mine in front of a fan heater, though. Little 'un is dry in ten mins & big 'un in about half an hour.

5. They always shiver, even when being blowdried!

Only one hint for next time - warmer water, a cats body temp is higher than ours - not hot water but just warm to the touch... hope that makes sense.

6. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Thanks both, will definitely use warmer water next time :) x

7. aella851

aella851 PetForums Junior

interesting as i am thinking about bathing my kitten if i do get one as i read that it helps with people who have allegeries.

8. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

Cats do hate having baths - as do some dogs! Bathing my doglet Merlin he always shakes but once it's over he likes all the rubbing and drying.

I know I posted this on the forum elsewhere yesterday, but it's soooo appropriate and I love it:
    DON’T LOOK!

Hopefully lil baby Cotton will be ok apart from a dent to her dignity!
    [PS: if you can, and feel confident enough to try, trim the tips of her claws off the day before. It may save you many embarrassing wounds.]

9. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

OMG :laugh: Cotton looked exactly like that!! Her belly looked as though it had no fur on it :lol:

I don't think I'm brave enough to do that though I know the OH will be, thanks!

Sky and Candy (my doglets) love the water but Candy will run and hide if you try to give her a bath. We turn it into a game with Sky, chase her with the hose, grab her and put soap on her then chase her with the hose again :D

10. MerlinsMum

MerlinsMum PetForums VIP

The 'day before' bit is significant - after clipping claws they can be a bit rough at the ends, so allow time for them to smooth off. best of luck with the baths :)

11. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

i bath my holly every month and when she had her first bath she did panic a bit and go a bit shakie but as i repeat this every month now she dosent care she dont put up any fuss but i bath her in a little box not in my bath because when i tryed putting in the big bath it made her really panicie but doing it this way she quite like it in the summer as it hot if you have to bathe your cat agan put a twal in the bottem of the bath or sink so your cat dont slip everywhere it works for me but i dont think you have anything to worry about but i did when i bath holly for the first time i did worry but now it apart of her route

12. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Thanks! :) I put her in the sink because I don't have a bath and can you imagine a small white kitten in a walk in shower? :laugh:

13. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

thats good if you try and make a bath a route then your cat will lean not to be scared good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice