Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Costs of starting up home grooming salon? - New to the site!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Grooming' started by millsmutts, Feb 11, 2012.

1. millsmutts

millsmutts PetForums Newbie

Hiya ,

My name is Hannah , I am new to this site , so I hope to get as much use out of it as possible and hopefully pass on my knowledge of dogs too =)

I am currently studying Level 2 Dog Grooming at college and I would love to go onto do level 3 and then open my own grooming salon.

I was just wondering how much it would cost roughly?

I don't need to know about the price of the equipment as I have that already sorted. It's just things like insurance , taxes, etc ?

I am 17 now but I hope to have my business up and running by the time I am 20 =)

I would love to run my own Kennels&Cattery and Grooming salon!

Any advice on the costs?

I know it isn't as simple as opening up a salon and off i go - I am not stupid lol =P

Thanks again!

2. Manoy Moneelil

Manoy Moneelil PetForums VIP

Unless you have a lot of financial backing in real life you will be looking at either working for someone else or working as a mobile basis.

Being young it is hard to believe the hassle that is awaiting to hammer down your enthusiasm with costs and restrictions when all you want to do is focus on the dogs.

There will be many things to learn about business and the best way to gain this is from someone that is doing it. With that in mind you would be wise to gain experience from a local firm or even rescue kennels by exchanging your skills and picking their brains for business skills, don't discount a Saturday job in retail whether it's Pets @ Home or a DIY shop - this teaches money.

Like any business you really need to look at what the demand is in the area you are seeking to work in, and where exactly you think a shop would be. Think about that in detail.

The best thing that you can do is start a notebook dedicated to the task.

You can find out the rental costs of shops in different locations (ask the shop keeper), but I suggest that many people will want to drop off their pets by car so you will be looking at shops with parking, this pushes the costs up in town centre locations.

Most of the groomers near here are located on light-industrial parks and out of town locations (lower rents). So this does mean that they either rely on people delivering their pets for grooming or offering a collection service - which I suggest is desirable for those that are sub-contracting the grooming care of their dogs. (But that takes your time - your skill is in grooming not being a taxi driver.)

So either way having a car/van of some type would be wise. Mobile grooming services are popular as you do not have the overhead costs of heating/water if you are using the client's premises. But your car insurance costs will be high as you are young and using the car for business (even if you are not transporting dogs).

It can cost as much money as you have got or can borrow - the key to being successful is to earn money by spending only just enough as required.

With every element you pay for you need to look at getting value for money. When starting out do not be too keen to commit to a year contract unless you have to, until you are earning the balance of cash flow is all out of the door.

You might expect a rent for a small industrial unit is £5,000 per year plus the same for business rates. If you are thinking about a shop in a "normal" High Street you are looking at £20,000 plus the same in rates, big difference.

Water costs will be £500 per year? (you will suddenly discover that turning the taps off quickly is important)

Electric costs depend on how you use heated driers and heat the workspace in the winter. I guess £200 per quarter, use cold water where possible.

Telephone and internet costs will be £300-500 per year, but call costs can make this balloon. I've not included mobile rental/costs.

Insurance costs depends on what you are doing, employing people and driving etc. You might spend time looking at unfashionable small vans that are cheap to insure on limited mileage cover. So there is business liability, property (theft of your tools of the trade will kill you for weeks while replacements are found - think about this) and car. Say £500 + £400 + £500? And about £1,000 fuel costs.

What you are beginning to see in my response is the start of a business plan, you would be wise to visit your bank and ask about their small business advisor for a free info pack that will outline many areas that you need to consider.

So a rough calculation suggests you need to take £50 per day (6 days a week) just to cover the costs - this is before you take a salary or pay for food, house, holidays. (Or pay taxes, NI etc.)

The killing factor for most businesses is under investment and cash flow.

The other thing you need is a regular reliable paying customer base. If I were in your shoes I would master clipping dogs nails, and treatment of a bled when it happens 'cos it will. And offer a nail clipping service, by word of mouth or through a local small ad, price yourself to undercut others £5 as you are gaining experience and will probably only attract people that are too tight to get the vet or a grooming saloon to do it. It also gets you talking to people that might be potential clients.

I know a bit about kennels from a friend that runs a successful business overseas, this requires space and staff and a whole lot of experience you are not ready for that yet.

Good luck with your venture.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice