Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cost to run tank

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by ThorLoki98, May 8, 2020.

1. ThorLoki98

ThorLoki98 PetForums Newbie

Hi guys,

I have one goldfish in the Ciano 60 aquarium and I’m struggling to work out how much this costs to run per day.

The lighting is 8W
    The water pump is 260l/h
    And on the back of the plug of the filter it says it’s 250V and 3A = 750 W (but surely it shouldn’t be this high?)

I know I sound so stupid but I literally have no idea what I’m doing so it’s coming up with crazy numbers any help to understand would be greatly appreciated.
    TIA.

2. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi. Welcome to the forum.

You're not stupid, but perhaps you are overthinking it. I've no idea how much my two tanks cost to run, but I do know my total duel fuel bill works out at about £1.87 per day. That's for both gas and electricity and includes 2 tropical tanks with heaters as well as filters and lights, so if you're looking for a daily running cost, a 60ltr cold water tank isn't going to cost that much.

If you still want to know exactly how much it costs, you'll need to factor in all variables - the wattage of each piece of equipment and how long they're on for and your electricity tariff.

If you're in the UK, the tariff per hour is in pence - not pounds.

Now for the bad news.

60ltrs isn't big enough for goldfish. Not even one. Goldies are big and messy. They grow to about 8-12" depending on breed and for even the smallest fancy, you're looking at a tank of at least 100ltrs, with a filter designed for tanks double that.

magpie and George Duke-Cohan like this.
  3. George Duke-Cohan

George Duke-Cohan PetForums Member

When you do find out how much it is costing you, I would live to see some pics if possible. Just me being noisy. Good luck and welcome to the forum.:)

4. ThorLoki98

ThorLoki98 PetForums Newbie

Hi thank you so much for your reply, I definitely was overthinking it! (That’s what I do haha), Thankyou for your response. Lots of people have told me it won’t cost much since I posted this so i feel better.

As for the tank this is temporary for the goldy until I move house soon and my dad can give me his 150L. He’s also only about 3cm at the moment! My dad is very clued up on fish and has owned them for over 30 years. Once i move house I will be adding more suitable fish to the tank. Thank you once again.

George Duke-Cohan and LinznMilly like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice