Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cost of neutering a small dog?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Lizz1155, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Lizz1155

Lizz1155 PetForums VIP

At some point the pup is going to be neutered (I'm still trying to work out when the right time for it is though, since he's still acting very puppy-like) - the vet quoted £130. Is this about right? It's an independent veterinary practice rather than a chain - the vet's honest and knowledgeable, and it is very local, but I'm not sure if it's overpriced compared to other vets?

2. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

If you are with a vet that you trust I would use them rather than shopping around for something cheaper. I think prices vary a great deal. My practice (in NI) is a particularly cheap one because of location I think and the socio economic status of the area. So my 48kg ("Extra Large") dog cost £140 to neuter.

3. DirtyGertie

DirtyGertie PetForums VIP

Not far off the cost of spaying my Bichon two years ago and it covered everything including the Loxicom painkiller to bring home, no extras to pay for the two follow up appointments for check ups and removal of stitches. But I'm not sure whether neuteuring a dog is normally cheaper or more expensive than spaying a bitch. But as Dogless says location will come into it and if you've got a vet who you trust then stick with them.

4. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

Castration's normally much cheaper than spaying. My daughter was quoted £170 for castrating her 10 month great dane, but it is an isolated low income area. I would agree with the other poster which says that if you trust your vet, stay with him. Apart from anything in the very unlikely situation that there are any complications (practically NIL - don't panic) he will sort them out. If you go to a different vet, and there are problems, you may not feel you trust him enough to deal with them, and your original vet would be entitled to be a bit iffy about sorting out someone else's work.

A good vet is like a good hairdresser - find one that suits you, stick with them, and pay what they ask - it's worth it in the long run.

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I paid about £110 for Jovi who is about 17kg. But that was about 8 years ago. I know the bulk of the price, is the anaesthetic. So a smaller dog would be less. So the price seems normal around where I live.

I know my practice runs with the dog trust neutering programme. If you are eligible, depending on certain benefits, its will cost £30 or £40 ( cannot remember the exact figure) but probably does not include pain relief. I believe you contact the dogs trust to sort out the voucher, not used it myself but have told my friend about it. It also depends on your practice, if they run with this scheme or not.

6. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Vets prices can differ area to area, but all in all that doesn't sound like too bad a price at all. You may find it a bit cheaper possibly but if you have a vet you are confident in, get on well with and trust even if it is a bit more expensive then others might be in your area, I would go for trust and experience and peace of mind that my dog was in good safe hands above all else.

7. Beth17

Beth17 PetForums VIP

Sam was £150 and weighed around 30kg. This is at my regular vets and I completely trust them so would have paid more if needed. I agree with the others if you trust your vet then I would stick with them.

8. victoria171168

victoria171168 PetForums VIP

ask your vet if you can start paying £10 a month or whatever you can afford to them monthly now so you can build up a credit on your account , then when it comes to spaying it wont be such a large amount.

my vets allowed me to do this and it made such a difference

also we had the full ablation done basically they take everything away and it made grooming a lot easier as my boy was large

9. DawnsPAW

DawnsPAW PetForums Member

Our vet offers this too. If you take proof that you are on certain benefits you only pay £30 and they claim the rest from Dogs Trust themselves.

10. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

I think ours starts from £180. He uses internal stitches (not sure if they're more expensive :eek:), he does a very neat job, they have excellent aftercare, and we haven't had an issues with healing.

I would definitely prefer to pay a bit more for him to do it, than one the cheaper vets around here.

11. mcoliver88

mcoliver88 PetForums Newbie

I just got my king charles spaniel done with a company called easipet care. My local branch was 30 miles from me, but it was worth it because it cost me £40 and they were fantastic. After i had him done, i took him to my usual vets for a post op check, and they were extremely happy with the work. might be worth giving them ago

12. Rylee

Rylee PetForums Member

I paid £150 for my bitch to be spayed. I was quoted £200 at the vets I was planning to use and thought this to be expensive for a 6kg dog. The £150 vets was recommended to me but I'd never dealt with them before, I asked questions and they seemed good. Nothing went wrong but I wasn't overly impressed and in hindsight I wish I had gone with the vets I knew and trusted. I'd say stick with your usual vet.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice