Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cost of keeping chickens?

Discussion in 'Poultry Chat' started by Cleo38, May 25, 2010.

1. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I am hoping to move this year & would love to keep some chickens if we have enough room. I have no knowledge but would read up nearer the time but just wondered approx how much it would cost per week to keep x3 chickens & x1 cockerel after the initial purchase of the coop.
    I would ideally like to get a male & female Golden Brahma & then 2 other ex battery farm hens - is this a good idea or do certain breeds not get on? As well as looking fantastic I read that Golden Brahmas are quite tame but timid
    As I say I would do more research nearer the time but just thought I would ask here as an initial starting point - thanks!

2. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

We pay about £6.50 for a bag of layers pellets...we have about 13 hens including 2 cockerels in total ...one bag will last us a couple of week...plus we use a bag of corn which last quite a while..

We have ex battery hens..one light sussex and 5 black marans they all seem to get on together...not sure if its because we have the cockerel who keeps order in the flock so to speak

juliex

3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Thanks for the info - that's not as much as I initially thought although I realise that we will have to get a decent hen house that is secure for them which will probably be quite expensive.
    How noisey are cockerels? We plan to get a place that's not got many neighbours but am not sure I'm being unrealistic by expecting no complaints if we did get a cockerel. I wouldn't want to get one then be forced to give it away.
    I really do have my heart set on a Golden Brahma cockerel as we saw a few recenelty on a local farm & they are absolutely stunning

4. paddyjulie

paddyjulie PetForums VIP

Cockerels are very very noisy...probably start at about 5 in the morning if not earlier...i just glad ours is away from the house...

juliex

5. indianrunner39

indianrunner39 PetForums Newbie

we buy one bag of corn and one bag layers pellets and some straw for nests which lasts us about couple of weeks, are cockeral starts at about 5:30 and hes right outside the house!!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice