Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cost of home boarding

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Veba, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

I have to put my pup in to home boarding for a weekend. I'm being charged per night but can only drop off after 5pm (Fri) and have to collect by 12noon (Sun). Is this normal? I'd have thought it was per day or per 24 hours.

2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Ive not put a dog in home boarding. Boarding kennels have similar arrangements.

Veba likes this.
  3. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

Our local kennels charge per night.

Veba likes this.
  4. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

What time can you drop off/collect?

5. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Kennels we used charged per night. Pick up and drop off were after certain times but I can't remember what those times were now. I assumed it was to make sure people weren't turning up to collect or drop off dogs at ridiculous hours of the night, that staff were going to be on hand to bring out/take in the dog rather than busy with feeding or exercise or whatever and so that they didn't have any sort of over lap if fully booked and end up with more dogs than they could actually take for a few hours. I would imagine 2 of those could easily apply to home boarding as well as kennels.

Torin., Lurcherlad and Veba like this.
  6. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

I'm guessing that choose what times they accept drop offs and pick ups and if they don't suit maybe look at others that do.

7. BlueJay

BlueJay Pack of Losers

Makes sense to me; gives the boarder - in theory - time to wash, sort, prepare everything and do whatever else needs doing (or just chill) between dogs if they need to.

Kennels I worked at had pickup and drop off times time before 8am and after 7pm iirc or you'd be charged the extra time as a days daycare, unless special arrangements had been previously made.

Veba likes this.
  8. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Sounds reasonable. I work in a boarding kennels and you are always charged for the day you drop off, whether that's 9am or 6pm because we don't know what time the dog's arriving and therefore they are allocated a kennel and have to pay for it. If the dog is picked up in our morning opening then they aren't charged for the day's boarding, but if the dog is picked up in the afternoon they are. It works the same way in most kennels as far as I'm aware, and a home boarder will have similar rules.

Tillystar and Veba like this.
  9. Veba

Veba PetForums Member

Thanks all. Not something I thought I'd need until next year so hadn't looked in to it.

10. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Pretty good, I pay per day or part of day...so for that 3 days. I am happy as have a great kennels

11. tantrumbean

tantrumbean PetForums Senior

My home boarder charges for either half a day or 24 hours. She is brilliant though and quite flexible, sometimes mine would only be there for 20 hours, but then other times, it would run over for some reason and be more than 24 and it was never an issue as long as I told her what was happening.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice