Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cost of getting 2 cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Alisa25, May 26, 2010.

1. Alisa25

Alisa25 PetForums Senior

Hey everyone!

So I finally decided to get 2 oriental cats next year YAY! :thumbup:

Now Im planning things and how much money I will need to save up. The prices of the food and toys and beds and actual cats... :eek6:

So can anyone suggest what the price range might be? Im reckoning around £700-£1000 mark. Maybe? :confused:

Please any suggestions or info will be most welcome! :)

Thanks.

2. tordis

tordis PetForums Senior

If you include the cats, then yes, it would probably work out around that. Have you found your kitties yet? I saw some adverts for Orientals/Siamese and the price for a kitten was around £350-£450 mark.
    Toys are very cheap (so you can get plenty!), and so are food and litter, especially if you buy in bulk. A nice, big cat tree shouldn't cost you more than £80-£90. Beds range in price from around £10 for the most basic ones up to well over £100 for those fancy banana-leaf sofa-like thingies, so it's up to you to decide if you want a decent, but cheap(ish) one or something that oozes luxury. And with cats, you never know, they might even not look at the luxury one and decide they want to sleep on the sofa or your bed :D

3. Alisa25

Alisa25 PetForums Senior

Nope havent found the kitties yet but will start looking v v soon! Soo excited! :D

Oh pffttt a decent bed is all I need really. I dont see the point in buying luxury ones , especially for kittens. Its bound to be destroyed by the little monsters lol. :p

Thanks for your advice! :)

4. Elmstar

Elmstar PetForums VIP

You normally find that the box the toys arrive in is just as interesting as the toy itself too :D A good cat tree is definitely worth it's weight in gold though.

5. Alisa25

Alisa25 PetForums Senior

Haha awww! :D

Cat tree is a must I agree. :)

6. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

One thing you might want to consider is the cost of pet insurance, which can easily be £10 per cat per month (more depending on level of cover and insurer or less depending on cover and insurer).

7. Alisa25

Alisa25 PetForums Senior

£10?!!! Are you serious!?? :O

My dog's insurance is £4 a month!! And it's a good plan and cover.
    Whoa , I would have thought cat's insurance would be less expensive..

8. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Gosh, I didn't mean to scare you :scared: Sure, you can get some that are less expensive - I have got lifetime cover, which comes to £10 a month per cat. Just as an example.

9. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

Very true!

Its worth remembering the monthly, quarterly, bi-annually and annual bills along with the "set up" and one off costs.

Monthly
    Food
    insurance
    litter

quarterly
    Flea prevention
    worming

Bi annually
    Holiday cover (say, holiday in summer, then christmas visiting rellies)

Annual
    vaccinations

One off fees:
    spey/neuter
    microchipping

Set up fees:
    cost of cat and all cat related equipment (carry box, litter trays, bowls, toys, food, cat scratcher blah blah blah).

Then you have the occasional costs. New/replacement toys, new/replacement cat activity posts, new/replacement bowls litter trays etc, emergency/excluded/minor vet treatment (treatment not covered by insurance or under insurance claim threshold), cat run repairs (if you have one).

10. Alisa25

Alisa25 PetForums Senior

Oh dont worry Im not THAT scared. :lol: Just been 'caught off guard'.. lol

11. Alisa25

Alisa25 PetForums Senior

Whoa thanks for that! Thats really helpful. :)

I know about the annual and monthly costs its just the set up that im currently concerned with. I want to get everything ready for next year. That means the funds as well hehe. :cool:

12. RachelGC

RachelGC PetForums Member

Just thought i'd add a little comment form myself :)

I've found places like Wilkinsons, B&M Bargains, Home bargains and Poundhsop sare birllaint for cat toys and beds, my Tilly has a box full of toys from those plays, she has that many that i have to only have a few out at a time and rotate the toys round for a bit of variety!

Home Bargains is good for getting feline fayre cat food which is extremely high meet content!!

Hope this helps a bit.

:thumbup:

13. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

To save some money on insurance can I suggest -

1) Decide who you want to insure with (my site, below, might help ;) ). Check that the insurer offers an extra discount for more than one animal.
    2) Insure one cat online and get the discount offered.
    3) Phone and insure the second one. Make sure that you get the same rate as the first cat AND the discount for the second one.

If you phone to insure the two you won't get the online discount, which is normally 10% (up to 35% with some policies) for the first year. Once you've got that rate the insurer will give you the extra discount on top, so you'll save 10% on cat No 1 and 15% on cat No 2.

However, be aware that pet insurance is for an annual cover and they expect you to keep paying for 12 months. They just chop it up into monthly payments to "make it easy for you".

14. Alisa25

Alisa25 PetForums Senior

Thanks soo much for the bargain advice! Bargains never hurt. :thumbup:

15. Alisa25

Alisa25 PetForums Senior

Thanks for that! :)

My dog is insured with PetPlan and so far they have been amazingly good. Had to use their services due to arthritis problems and PetPlan came through. :D So i might stick with them lol.

Oh and your website is very very helpful! Great job on comparisons! :)

#15 Alisa25, May 29, 2010
    Last edited: May 29, 2010
  16. AlbertRoss

AlbertRoss PetForums VIP

If you are with PetPlan and you are a pensioner they'll even give you an extra £1 a month off!!! (But don't say I told you ;) ). But I'm sure you are much younger :thumbup:

17. Maiisiku

Maiisiku Banned

My costs for Bailey were:

£90 cat tree,
    £3 litter tray (i've upgraded since though to a £10 one)
    £10 cat litter (25ltrs)
    £30 wet food (for a month)
    £13 dry food (lasted more than a month)
    £5.84 pet insurance
    £40 on toys (this part is probably optional I spoilt her)
    £10 on bowls (but I wanted nice ceramic ones with pictures)
    £3 on a mat which after 6 months I threw out and need a new one.
    £6 on nail clippers (I do it myself)
    £1.50 per worming tablet (which reminds me she's due)
    £10.50 on flea treatment.

Vets:
    Bailey came covered in fleas. I spent £15 on the treatment from the vet, £40 on vet fees. £60 on spaying, £85 on vacinations because the previous owner lost the paperwork...

In total I think I spent around £400 on bringing her home. She cost £60 It might be a bit more give or take but thats my rough guess but if your getting expensive cats obviously it would be a bit higher. If my landlord is so kind as to say yes on monday. I have a spare litter tray, my insurance will go up by £3 and my food bill will go up by £10 as my current cat wastes her wet food.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice