Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cost of breeding

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Taylorbaby, Jan 22, 2012.

1. David 1994

David 1994 PetForums Newbie

probably because she is buying it with some good papers or something, With a good pedigree the kind of cats that the parents have been to different cat shows and won some medals or something

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Utter nonsense. And why on earth is she buying one from abroad?

moggie14 likes this.
  3. David 1994

probably because she wants to have some kittens, so if she gets a cat from the other country it means that she has a cat with a different family tree and that makes it more interesting for buyers

4. OrientalSlave

So you will have a first-hand chance to see how much money is in breeding.

moggie14 and QOTN like this.
  5. Pappychi

Pappychi PetForums VIP

Right... o_O

So the only reason to import is so there is better 'marketing' o_Oo_O

Tell me, is she planning to show?

You chat chatters have been very stoic. A sh*t show would have kicked off by now in dog chat. :p

moggie14 likes this.
  6. David 1994

is there anything wrong with that ?

7. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Do you know Sasha's dad?

Forester, Jansheff and moggie14 like this.
  8. David 1994

No I dont

9. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

We do!

10. David 1994

What do you mean ? who is Sasha?

11. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I can only say good luck to your mother @David 1994 - I am assuming the £1000 she has paid for her cats has been for ones on the active register if she is intending to breed. If there people paying that sort of money for non-active, pet quality kittens (and I don't agree with charging over the odds for active registered ones!) - there is a saying about fools and their money being easily parted.
    I do know of one person who makes living from their cats but they also run a successful cattery and grooming business too.

12. ZaraFold Cattery

ZaraFold Cattery PetForums Newbie

Good afternoon.
    I would like to ask for breeders help. I'm new ... Only recently opened cattery. Advise me please not too expensive and good insurance for my cattery.
    Thank you in advance.

13. OrientalSlave

What country are you in and what are you wanting to insure? Not many companies will do insurance for breeding queens. Personally I have never insured my cats (been a cat slave for 25 years), and I'm well ahead of if I had insured. However I've not had a cat need a C-section, and I don't use an expensive vet.

14. PurrsianLover

PurrsianLover PetForums Newbie

I absolutely adore this piece!!! Thank you so much writing it! The poem brought tears to my eyes!

15. Leah1986

Leah1986 PetForums Newbie

Animal welfare is what matters. Yes don't be a breeder, if it doesn't make a profit, but why be a breeder at all. :)

16. anachronism

anachronism PetForums VIP

Because people want health tested pedigree animals?

17. Rufus15

Rufus15 ~ Orrono Maine Coons ~

Ethical breeders care about animal welfare. That's why they breed; to produce healthy, gene tested kittens.

anachronism likes this.
  18. catlovers2018

catlovers2018 PetForums Newbie

very informative very well written, very well explained

19. Anjayma Tonks&MaineCoons

Anjayma Tonks&MaineCoons PetForums Newbie

Re vaccines, one thing people often don't understand is that vaccines can be "live" vaccines, or inactive ones. My old vet used "live" (active) vaccine, and my kittens got sick afterwards with cat-flu symptoms every single time. After a while I worked out that it was the vaccination causing the symptoms, so changed to an inactive vaccine (I use Fevac F3), and have had no problems since.

I'm in Australia, so Rabies vaccine isn't used here, since we don't have rabies.

I don't use F5 (FELV/FIV) vaccine, since my cat's aren't allowed to roam and all are negative, so it's not really necessary to vaccinate them against it. I advise my customers that F3 is sufficient unless they're going to allow their cats outside, in which case they should vax for FELV/FIV, BUT not to use F5 vaccine until cats are at least 6 months old, since it's been known to cause liver failure in kittens.

For my cat runs, I've "double wired" them, so that any cats coming into my yard can't fight with/bite my cats through the wire and cause a possible FIV/FELV infection (or bite abscess!). I mention the runs because I did have that happen many years ago, when the runs only had a single layer of mesh - fortunately it only caused a bite abscess, no FIV/FELV infection. It's something breeders with single-wire mesh runs should be aware of.

As for the financial cost of breeding, I've worked out it costs approximately AUD$500-600 per kitten to raise a litter of kittens. That's for the usual expenses of food, litter, vaccinations, flea/worming, microchipping, desexing, vet check, club registration for kitten, advertising. If there are extra-ordinary expenses like additional vet visits for queen and/or kittens, c-section, stud fee if using another breeders stud, etc, that cost obviously increases. So I make a "profit" of around $250 per kitten, assuming no extra-ordinary expenses. I don't take cost of water, power, petrol or time into account.

BUT....

That $250 per kitten profit gets spent on keeping my 13 adult cats for the year - food, litter, flea/worm, vaccinate, vet check, club registration & membership fees, Local Council pet registration, Local Council Permit (to keep more animals than allowed without permit), replacement of cat trees, bedding & run-furniture as required, cleaning products, and so on. Again, I don't take cost of water, power, petrol or time into account in maintaining adults for the year.

I also don't count expenses for showing the cats - I regard that as a completely separate hobby, so I can delude myself into believing I still make a tiny profit on the breeding "hobby" hehehe

I've been breeding & exhibiting cats for 12 years, and dogs for 20 years before that. Also at various times rabbits, rare-breed poultry, parrots ... A vocation indeed :)

Attached Files:

Psygon and lymorelynn like this.
  20. Anjayma Tonks&MaineCoons

Anjayma Tonks&MaineCoons PetForums Newbie

Oh, and I completely forgot about the cost of DNA testing all my breeding animals, and any kittens I'm keeping, and any kittens I'm selling for breeding/show, and for my Maine Coons hip-scoring at 1yo and heart ultra-sound to check for HCM every few years.... add that on to the list of expenses, lol. Plus buying a new stud once every few years.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice