Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cost of breeding

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by Taylorbaby, Jan 22, 2012.

1. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

IME cat 'flu is actually damn easy to catch. But, what do I know?

2. Ceiling Kitty

The 'basic' vaccinations generally cover two of the cat 'flu viruses (feline herpesvirus and calicivirus), and panleukopenia. These are the 'core' vaccines that are recommended for all cats.

Feline leukaemia (FeLV) and chlamydia vaccination are non-core. FeLV in particular should only be given if the cat's lifestyle warrants it; generally it is not necessary for indoor cats.

Any vaccine has the potential to cause a mild illness. This a normal consequence of stimulation of the immune system - one of the reasons you feel rubbish because you have a viral infection. More severe reactions are thankfully less common but certainly out there.

Vaccination is essential IME, but you just want to give the smallest number that will achieve the goal - to immunise the cat.

3. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

I agree. No idea why anybody thinks that cat flu is not easily transferrable or serious.
    Also I have never heard of a cat with reactions to the cat flu vaccine.

I think someone is getting their facts mixed up :confused:

4. Ceiling Kitty

It can happen. This is from the SPC for Nobivac Tricat, for example:

Adverse reactions
    A slight painful swelling may be observed at the injection site for 1-2 days. A slight transient rise in body temperature (up to 40°C) may occur for 1-2 days. In some cases sneezing, coughing, nasal discharge, and a slight dullness or reduced appetite may be observed for up to 2 days post vaccination. In very rare cases, the vaccine may cause hypersensitivity reactions (pruritus, dyspnoea, vomiting, diarrhoea and collapse).

It's my opinion that the fact a few cats react to vaccines doesn't mean nobody should vaccinate their cats. The principle of herd immunity comes to mind. I realise others will have a different opinion.

outsider - I have a great deal of respect for Lisa Pierson, but you should also balance your reading with peer-reviewed scientific literature as well as easy-to-Google internet sites. Look via one of the databases such as Wiley Online or PubMed, or you could try Google Scholar. You will probably have to pay for access to the papers unless you have subscriptions to any veterinary medical journals.

5. Halo1

Halo1 PetForums Member

6. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

7. David 1994

David 1994 PetForums Newbie

of course you can make money out of breeding, if you have a champion cats and you are selling them for a £1000 you can make some profit out of it, yes its a difficult process I know but you can make a profit

8. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Hi David. Bit of a random post that, I thought you were in Dog Chat? :confused:
    I'd love to hear from you about how much it costs to breed and how much profit you think pedigree cat breeders make - please do tell :rolleyes:

Jonescat, QOTN and Pappychi like this.
  9. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

I have had many champion cats but could not have charged £1000 for any of their offspring.

moggie14 likes this.
  10. Pappychi

Pappychi PetForums VIP

There seems to be a general assumption that people breeding pedigree animals are making a small fortune :rolleyes:.

moggie14 likes this.
  11. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

What is more this assumption includes the belief that there is no financial outlay involved in breeding.

spotty cats and moggie14 like this.
  12. Pappychi

Pappychi PetForums VIP

Ah don't you know my dear @QOTN these breeding animals are fed and bred on pixie dust and unicorn rainbows :cool:.

It baffles me how people can think a fortune can be made in dog or cat breeding :rolleyes:.

Justyna.D, QOTN, lymorelynn and 2 others like this.
  13. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

Belinda? :Bored

QOTN likes this.
  14. Pappychi

Pappychi PetForums VIP

Is this like 'didn't Sasha's dad experience something like this?'

Because if not I'm lost :Bawling:Bawling

moggie14 likes this.
  15. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

If one cuts corners and isn't in the least fussy about who has them there is money to be made, witness the recent puppy farm programs.

Temporally_Loopy and Pappychi like this.
  16. Pappychi

Pappychi PetForums VIP

What I should of wrote was 'I have no idea how people think ethical breeders make money' :Facepalm

17. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

You've got it. Apparently Belinda was a forerunner.

moggie14 and Pappychi like this.
  18. David 1994

I see cats on the internet for £1000 and more I am talking about ragdolls mainly, my mum bought two cats for £1000 each, so I think that really you can make some money out of it if you sell the cats for that much money and she is buying another one soon from other country for about the same kind of money.

19. David 1994

I know that lot of the money goes for a vet bills and food and a registration bills of some kind, but still ;)

20. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

Do you know why your mother is paying so much when you can purchase a perfectly nice Ragdoll from a good breeder for half that amount?

moggie14, QOTN and OrientalSlave like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice