Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cost of a maine coon?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Sheltie2021, Mar 26, 2021.

1. Sheltie2021

Sheltie2021 PetForums Member

How much do maine coon kittens sell for?
    I have always loved maine coons lover there personality, nature and size but never been able to afford one
    We were saving for a puppy but have decided on another cat instead this time doing it right and iv actually saved just over 1k since January but I'm unsure how much more id need

2. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

That may well be about enough. I would avoid online sales sites as the vast majority of kittens on those are fakes, and you end up paying an awful lot of money for a badly bred mixed breed cat. Your best bet is to contact breeders via the breed club http://www.maine-coon-cat-club.com/kittens/breedlist/index.html and please, please, please be patient. It's still early in the kittening season so most will either be very young or not born yet. Go for a breeder to tests their breeding cats for Hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) at the very least but ideally also for Pyruvate Kinase Deficiency (PKDef) and Spinal Muscular Atrophy (SMA) as well.

Make sure you recieve all the required paperwork at the time of purchase, this will be the vaccination card, the registration certificate and the pedigree sheet (family tree).

Soozi and Calvine like this.
  3. Sheltie2021

Sheltie2021 PetForums Member

Thank you I would never get a cat from those sites I did look and the amount on there saying there maine coon that clearly aren't is crazy and people just seem to believe them
    I'm still in the early stages of my searching and don't mind waiting years for the right breeder/kitten
    For something that will hopefully be with us for 15-20yrs I can wait

Tigermoon likes this.
  4. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Here is the link to the GCCF breeders scheme map. There are some Maine Coon breeders on the scheme I believe so this could also help you find a kitten.

https://www.gccfcats.org/About-GCCF/Breeder-Scheme/Breeders

Soozi and Calvine like this.
  5. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

From the UK MCO breeders I know, your price point is pretty right.

Look for a breeder scanning for HCM, not just the gene test, and who also gets the hips checked along with the tests TM mentioned.

jill3 and Calvine like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice