Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cory catfish trouble

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Lcc86, Jul 26, 2020.

1. Lcc86

Lcc86 PetForums Newbie

This is my first post, am looking for advice as a new fish owner.

Some background, I had 3 African Dwarf Frogs for about 5 years, lost 2 of them to dropsy late last year, the third has survived and is doing well. I thought it would be nice to get him some friends so I bought 3 leopard cory catfish last Saturday. Water change was done prior to putting the catfish in.

On Tuesday I noticed one catfish at the top of the tank, after some googling I thought I'd do another partial water change. I kept noticing this behaviour on Wednesday so did another water change and another on Thursday and Friday.

On Friday one of the catfish was lying on its side and couldn't swim properly, I thought it might be a swim bladder problem. Unfortunately I don't have a quarantine tank so couldn't move him out, continued with daily water changes, lowered the water level and stopped feeding.

Yesterday all three catfish started lying on their sides. One was noticeably more active than the rest but still drunk-looking. Did another water change. Unfortunately overnight two of the catfish have died. The remaining one switches between being pretty active but unable to swim properly and lying on its side.

I've been checking water parameters daily, no issues apart from the water hardness was slightly lower than expected so I added some epsom salts yesterday (also read this might help relieve symptoms of swim bladder?). I still haven't fed them.

The filter is an Interpet (unsure of the exact model) but has been in there since last year so definitely cycled.

I think I may have overfed them. I feed the ADF defrosted bloodworms so decided to feed these guys the same. As I've not had them before I fed them every day from Saturday to Thursday to try and work out how much they ate. During water changes there was a lot of uneaten food.

Tank size is approx 20l. I am in the process of cycling in a 50l tank. Another thought was maybe I overstocked the tank so I hoped the daily water changes would help until the new tank is cycled in.

Any advice to help me save my remai catfish would be great. I feel really guilty that I've somehow managed to kill these fish in less than a week.

#1 Lcc86, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  2. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Hi. Welcome to the forum. Sorry it's under the circumstances.

I doubt it was your fault the Cories died. The fact you had them for a week suggest they were already infected with something at the time of purchase. The stress of the move was enough of a trigger to tip the fish over the edge. And for death to occur that quick points to systemic bacterial infections. Nothing really you could have done. Something like that would have required broad spectrum antibiotics and even then, it would have been touch and go.

A quarantine tank doesn't have to be an actual tank. A food-grade plastic box will suffice.

Incidentally, it's not really advised to mix frogs and fish. The frogs have poor eyesight and the fish can outcompete them for food.

3. Lcc86

Lcc86 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your reply, perhaps it was something they already had. They seemed pretty healthy in the aqautics store but I guess you can never be 100% sure.

My frog seemed to take quite well to them and would sit with them (I made sure I saw the frog eat each time they were fed) but I will take your advice on board. I was looking for more ADFs originally but they seem impossible to find where I live.

Back to my catfish, is there anything I can do or do I just have to carry on doing what I'm doing and hope he/she pulls through?

4. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I think all you can do is what you're doing. I wouldn't advise Epsom salts, but sea salt or aquarium salt (same thing). If s/he does pull through, you'll need at least 5 more, as they are gregarious and need the company of their own kind.

5. Lcc86

Lcc86 PetForums Newbie

Thanks, I was thinking he/she would need friends if he makes it as I'd read they do best in groups but don't want to get ahead of myself. Fingers crossed the next day or so will show an improvement, this one seemed to be the least affected so I'm hoping it'll make it.

6. Lcc86

Lcc86 PetForums Newbie

Unfortunately the last fish has died overnight :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice