Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Correct Stud Age

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by kohanah94, Jul 9, 2017.

1. kohanah94

kohanah94 PetForums Newbie

Hi, I am new to dog breeding but have a lovely miniature dachshund that I want to stud. He is KC registered and has had all the necessary health tests done for the breed. My question is what is the suitable age for breeding. He is 15 months now and some people have told me that he has to be 18 months and others have told me that as long as he is 12 months and has reached sexual maturity he can breed. As we are both new to the dog breeding world it is far to say that we are confused so any advice or information would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Alex
    (A new and confused breeder)

2. miljar

miljar Banned

Hi Alex.
    Your boy is certainly old enough. A youngster could be a bit tricky to start with, but it is an experience thing, and he will learn by doing. In an ideal world he would go with an experienced bitch first time out, but they do know what to do.

3. SingingWhippet

SingingWhippet PetForums VIP

If he's only 15 months then surely he can't have been screened for IVDD as he'd need to be 2 years old to participate in the scheme. I would definitely wait until he's old enough for that before going ahead and using him at stud.

Are you showing him? And do you have an experienced breeder/stud dog owner mentoring you?

4. kohanah94

I thought that Miniature Dachshunds only had to be screened for PRA? Haven't heard anything about screening them for IVDD.

I am currently showing him yes & I have a close friend who has bred and shown KCC for years who is helping me both in the showing world & the breeding world. But obviously different breeds come with different genetic conditions & some breeds mature faster than others so looking for advice from other people & hopefully might come across some dachshund breeders on the way

5. kohanah94

Thanks :) like with anything in life it all comes down to experience! But hopefully we will find a nice bitch who will show him the ropes. Do you know anything with regards to testing for IVDD?

6. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Yes, they absolutely need screening for IVDD, I have a bitch who ruptured a disc aged 4 years. This was before screening was available.
    Is he smooth haired ? If wirehaired he needs screening for Lafora too.
    For information on Heath testing head to The Dachshund Breed Council website, they have a very good section on health and testing , also breeding. Have you read the sticky about using your dog at stud ? At the top of Breeding.

https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/offering-dogs-for-stud-services.430783/

7. SingingWhippet

As well as the DNA test for cord1-PRA there are DNA tests available for Osteogenesis Imperfecta and Neuronal Ceroid Lipofuscinosis. If he's a mini wire there's also Mucopolysaccharidosis type III and Lafora Disease.

This site is an excellent resource for all things IVDD related, from the screening programme to lifestyle advice to minimise the chances of a Dachshund developing spinal issues.

The Dachshund Breed Council also have a very good health website which is worth looking at. IVDD affects 25% of Dachshunds and is the breed council's current priority when it comes to health so the screening is absolutely necessary.

#7 SingingWhippet, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
    Colette and SusieRainbow like this.
  8. kohanah94

Thanks guy. Yes I have read the bit about offering dogs for services on the site. However I am not offering I am just wanting to get some more information as I never have bred any dog before never mind a dachshund so just want to make sure that I get it right for his future pups.

Will getting him DNA tested also show any cases of IVDD? He is a miniature smoothed haired so just focusing on the screening for them.

9. SingingWhippet

No, each individual DNA test will only give you information regarding that specific condition. As he's a mini smooth the available DNA tests are cord1-PRA, OI and NCL. And obviously the IVDD screening.

There is no DNA test available for IVDD as there are many genes involved which have not all been identified yet. This page on the UFAW site has lots of good information about it. The current testing scheme for IVDD involves an x-ray to check for calcifications in the spinal discs. There's a very strong correlation between the number of calcifications a dog has at 2-4 years of age and the risk of developing IVDD. Breeding from dogs with a lower likelihood of developing IVDD (i.e. those with fewer/no calcifications when screened) increases the chances of producing puppies who are also at lower risk of developing it. This page on the Dachshund IVDD site explains all about the screening process.

Another thing to consider when breeding is inbreeding coefficients, this is an excellent article on the subject which I'd recommend having a read through.

Colette likes this.
  10. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Personally I wouldn't use a dog under 2 years old.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice