Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Correct Information sought...................

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by critter, Mar 28, 2011.

1. critter

critter PetForums VIP

Hi, Does anybody know and I mean really know, no guesses please!, what is the correct procedure for allowing your (on lead) dog to meet and greet a Guide Dog for the Blind?, my reason for asking is that we occasionally come across such dogs where we live, I have been told that when a Guide Dog is out of harness he is effectively off duty and can be treated as a 'normal dog', ie; can be fussed, played with and allowed to play with other dogs (with the owners permission of course!), we met one that we see around our local town down on one of the beaches recently and he was out of harness and just chilling on the sand, Louie the dog was really pulling on the long line to meet him but we just didn't know what to do so we decided to err on the side of caution and not allow them to meet. wayne.

2. Helbo

Helbo PetForums VIP

When guide dogs don't have a harness on they can be treated like any other dog.

SO, to me that still means asking the owners permission before your dog greets them, or before you do. Because it's a guide dog (when working) they may prefer to say no.

So imo you did the right thing not letting your dog greet theirs.

3. Jasper's Bloke

Jasper's Bloke PetForums VIP

That's a very good question and I think it would be best to ask them direct.

guidedogs@guidedogs.org.uk

Please post back if you get an answer.

4. critter

critter PetForums VIP

Hi Thanks for the link, Will post back as soon as I know. wayne.

5. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

Years back at school, when we had a visit from the people who worked for guide dogs for the blind, I was told to never distract/approach a guide dog, if it had its tabbard on, it meant it was working and even if its owner wasn`t holding the dog, it still meant the dog was on duty and its owner might need the dog at a moments notice, so it should be left alone, even if the dog approached me.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice