Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Coronavirus outbreak

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kimthecat, Jan 22, 2020.

1. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Actually it wasn't either.

It was Dr Margaret Harris the WHO's spokesperson who originally asked people not to go mad over buying masks,i,e surgical and N95 masks, in order that there were sufficient for essential healthcare workers. This was before it was discovered Covid-19 was an airborne disease and that people could be asymptomatic and spread the virus despite appearing to be perfectly healthy.

Unfortunately I can't find the video nor the later one where she explained why she had said what she'd said but this article explains thing pretty well.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsa...rent-guidelines-for-face-masks-for-the-public

Why There Are So Many Different Guidelines For Face Masks For The Public

Arny, Lurcherlad and kimthecat like this.
  2. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Totally confused abt masks. I thought at the start we wore them to protect other people . I think the staff in stores should have to wear them .

Cully likes this.
  3. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I disagree.
    BJ boasting about not wearing masks did not help, MP's obviously flouting social distancing and not wearing masks did not help, and then the media ran with whatever.

This is a sky news thing "The official UK government guidance states that evidence around wearing a face covering suggests it "does not protect you" from coronavirus." if people aren't able to fact check these quotes then it's no wonder some people were confused.

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-what-does-the-science-actually-say-about-face-masks-11931121

Next we have the gov slashing the UK death rate (I need to research this properly, but there are murmurings that so long as the patient died 28 days after a positive test then they are taken off the death count...but I need to research that in depth because conspiracy theories are rife at the moment) so we have the "Told you it's not that bad" crowd getting louder.

I see a fair few people complaining about our rights being breached because we are asked (not forced) to wear a mask...not one single person has answered any questions about what we should be doing o_O

4. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Yes I'm a little confused too for the same reason.
    My local pharmacy doesn't seem to be adhering to any face covering rules. Yesterday my son went in to collect a script and not only were staff not wearing masks or face shields, but customers weren't either.
    I would have thought of all places, where potentially sick people are collecting scripts, it would be really important to not risk spreading anything.
    I'm really surprised. Its only a small chemist/post office and customers would be very compliant. So can't understand the no masks thing!!!

5. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I am too for the same reasons as you say.

@StormyThai, I’ve read too that the death count for coronavirus has been cut, not slashed, it’s something like 5-6k taken off the total. England had the ridiculous situation that if you died and had a positive test therefore you died of covid 19 even if it was cancer that had caused it or an accident. England is bringing it into to line with the Scots method of reporting covid deaths i.e. only if less then 28 days then death is the result of covid.

Lurcherlad and kimthecat like this.
  6. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

That's why I wish the government would say, that in any town centers, shopping malls, and in all shops a mask must be worn at all times.

kimthecat and Cully like this.
  7. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

How can we expect the idiots to behave when the sensible ones are so confused?

8. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Where I live they do. Mask use is compulsory. By everyone, everywhere. We even have a high tourist area that has now made it compulsory to wear them on the main streets in that village. Tourists weren't complying. So now, you can get slapped with a $1,000 fine if you don't wear a mask while walking down the main street. 1st offense, you are given a mask by a police officer. Second offense, you are fined $1,000.

That may have to be enacted in my area too, once the college students come back, next week.

I had a dentist appointment yesterday. I had to call from my car to tell them I was there. They tried to call me back when it was time to come in but I don't know how to answer my cell phone so she had to come out to get me.

Once in I had to sanitize my hands and was given a pen to keep and use for signatures. I had to answer a two page questionnaire about my potential symptoms and exposures, and have my temperature taken.

I had to sign a disclaimer that I understood that while all precautions are being taken at the dentist, I understood that there may still be some risk of contracting covid-19 while there.

kimthecat, Lurcherlad, rona and 2 others like this.
  9. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Yes, masks are to protect others from your germs in case you are an asymptomatic or presymptomatic carrier. Assuming ill people are staying home of course. I don't think all are, the symptoms can be mild enough that some people may not even realize they're sick, and then of course you'll always have one group who just doesn't care.
    So yes, masks to protect others. The only masks that protect the wearer are the N95 masks worn properly. And I believe those were the ones that the government was worried people would panic buy leaving healthcare workers without.

But if you're saying that in the UK retail workers don't have to wear masks, now I'm also confused. Here in the US, it was initially the 'essential' workers who had to wear masks. My daughter works in a fast food restaurant and she has been wearing a mask at work since late March I believe, plus they all get their temperature checked before each shift.
    Even before the general public was required/asked to wear masks, all stores had moved to requiring their workers to wear a mask. This was way back in May or maybe early June. Asking store patrons to wear a mask before entering the store is a more recent thing here in the south, in other states they've been masking for a good while.

Daughter needs her wisdom teeth out and we had the consultation Monday, similar routine. We had to call that we were there, someone came out and took our temperature before we went in. But at my regular dentist, they just had a questionnaire, no temperature taking.
    Similar at the doctors. Regular family physician no temp, no questionnaire, just mask requirement. At my OBGYN I had to have my temp taken, use hand sanitizer, and answer questions. I even got my temp taken going to get a pedicure the other day! Masks and plastic dividers at all the stations, only every other station in use. They were very careful.
    The vet and pharmacy are also asking you to call when you're there, and they bring my prescription out to the car. I never even get out of the vehicle.

kimthecat likes this.
  10. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Retail works don't have to wear masks.

From the gov site "It is not compulsory for shop or supermarket staff to wear face coverings although we strongly recommend that employers consider their use where appropriate and where other mitigations are not in place."

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/...ntres-and-enclosed-transport-hubs-from-friday

Thankfully most around me are wearing masks when in the public area so not behind screens, but they don't have to :(

kimthecat likes this.
  11. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

I went through an almost similar procedure.
    I was health screened on the phone before I was given an appointment.
    A week later, when I turned up for my appointment I was health screened by the dental nurse over the phone before being admitted into the foyer.
    My temperature was taken before I was led into the practice proper.

I didn't have to sign any disclaimers:)

Ps. I had to have my mask on before being admitted through the door and use the hand sanitiser that was waiting.

#6571 SbanR, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  12. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

Ah right. From my memory, which isn't great I admit as things constantly change, the government were still saying masks were useless even after WHO changed their stance.

13. Arny

Arny PetForums Senior

One of the charities I support were given free face shields by a company, for the workers in the charity shop.
    They then got asked if they'd like some more as "did they realise they're single use".
    So much waste!
    Can they not be sprayed with disinfectant and have your own personal shield so they're not being swapped around?

Calvine likes this.
  14. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

I can breathe through a scarf, and walk ok. Wearing a mask is very different to a scarf, I can’t walk without gasping and my stridor gets really bad. I’m aware that people say masks don’t affect breathing but my personal experience is that it does.

15. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Agree! So much more for landfill . . . unless there is a way they can be safely recycled (even so . . . ). I am still unsure on the recommendations for disposal of single-use masks . . . which is why I use ones I can wash and reuse.

16. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear that.
    If you have to go on Public transport you are allowed to wear a face covering which includes scarves.

DD went to a country pub and sat outside and there were notices up saying don't let your children run around .
    Doctors surgery says any child over three has to wear a mask .
    Im wondering how teachers at school will cope with thirty kids and getting them to keep their masks on.

Jaf likes this.
  17. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Wow that really surprises me, for once it seems the US is ahead in their Covid-19 efforts. Granted, it also depends very much on the state, there is no nationwide mandade on anything. I know you'll find that shocking what with our exemplary leadership :rolleyes::Hilarious (I laugh so I don't cry.)

This is a list of each state's mask mandates. Interesting perusal.
    https://www.aarp.org/health/healthy-living/info-2020/states-mask-mandates-coronavirus.html
    Mask mandates depend on state governors and local governments putting rules in place. For our tiny little town we do have a 'mask order' but not sure how enforceable it is. However, most people are being really responsible, and I've not been in any business where the employees were not masked.
    I was in Charleston last week and same thing, the rare occasion someone wasn't masked, it was not an employee. Always a customer. But most stores had big notices on the doors saying you have to have a mask or face covering on to enter.

I don't remember saying masks don't affect breathing?
    I did share a link saying that asthma sufferers might find some relief wearing a face covering in winter months. Mostly in response to a poster who was insisting that masks make you stupid, turn you in to a pervert, and are damaging to children. I was just trying to show that covering your face happens in all sorts of contexts in the general public and it's not an issue.

If you're comfortable with a scarf, wear a scarf. Buffs are very comfortable too. Runners wear them to run in, they definitely are easy to breathe through.

StormyThai, Jaf and Lurcherlad like this.
  18. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

How you doing @lullabydream? Have you had the test results back? Are you still feeling poorly?

Ellie&cats and Cully like this.
  19. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Oh sorry didn’t mean to say that you were saying that. Just lots of people have been showing oxygen meters displaying fine. That’s not the whole story. I have an oxygen meter and oxygen goes up when I’m about to pass out!

I’m in Spain, scarves aren’t allowed. They are starting to ban public smoking now too as they claim smokers pass the virus on. I guess smokers congregate and breathe on each other, maybe.

Cully and kimthecat like this.
  20. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Do they allow buffs in Spain? You might find them more comfortable. Like here:
    https://www.amazon.com/Headband-Mul...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

I posted earlier in the thread about carbon dioxide and how it may be the CO2 you're reacting to, not a lack of oxygen. Not that it helps you with wearing a mask, but might help you understand what is going on with your body.

Lurcherlad and Jaf like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice