Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Coronavirus outbreak

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kimthecat, Jan 22, 2020.

1. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Awww bless her.. It's awful isn't it not seeing them. Am missing my ickle nephew. Nice to get updates and plenty of smiley photos but not the quite same.

2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

She’s talking more now and has grown so much. She gave Loki kisses down the phone.

lullabydream likes this.
  3. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

Hmm, I wish I had your faith. I really distrust the methodology, which I don’t think has been made public. I think many might but put into difficult situations because of desperate employers. And selfishly I guess I’ve really enjoyed the peace and seeing small signs of nature healing, easy to write as I am earning.

4. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

This popped up on my FB news feed

received_690217411523369.jpeg

Magyarmum, Jesthar and SusieRainbow like this.
  5. purringcats

purringcats PetForums Member

Result on my neighbour situation. I dialled 101 and the person I spoke to said other people have been complaining and was keen to get me off the phone to get someone to attend my neighbours house as there was a gathering there tonight of more than 5 people all drinking alcohol as her child was running around the garden screaming. I know I said I was going to give up complaining but enough was enough tonight as it was really noisy.

I feel relieved I am not the only person complaining.

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

raysmyheart likes this.
  8. Happy Paws2

Our bungalow backs on to what was warden controlled flats with a small communal garden where some of the residents have been sitting out in the sun. This morning one of them has visitors with about five young children playing in the garden, surely this is breaking the rules as other people are using it at the same time.

kimthecat, raysmyheart and Lurcherlad like this.
  9. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

It must be bad if several people are complaining.

raysmyheart likes this.
  10. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Our state has a regulation about face coverings in public. My employer has a regulation about face coverings in the building. No exceptions.

I am currently working from home 4 days and week and in office one day a week. I was very angered today to see a custodial worker, someone I don't recognize, working in the lobby today with no face mask. He was washing windows and sweeping and vacuuming, and making a very long job about all of it, but it was really ticking me off that he wasn't wearing a mask. I have to walk through that lobby numerous times during my working day, not to mention the rest of the building. Especially concerning if he is the one supposedly sanitizing our offices every morning, which I suspect he might me.

(In addition he had propped open all the fire doors because he obviously didn't want to be bothered punching in the codes each time he had to go through a door. All the fire doors are marked as "fire door: must be kept close at all times, by order of the fire department").

I closed all the fire doors, and then sent an e mail to my supervisor about the lack of face mask. I am not his boss and it isn't my place to to instruct him of the rules, they have been made very clear to all of us. But it was making me very angry. I don't care what his beliefs are about the pandemic, he needs to follow the rules. My boss said she would contact his boos. I did hear his cell phone ring as he was walking down the hall, and did not see him in my office vicinity again. Incidentally he also left a vacuum cleaner in the hall parked right outside my office door. As I came out of my door to go into the mail room I tripped over it and crashed into the wall.

I mentioned this to my boss as well. Perhaps no one has trained him properly, regarding equipment safety and fire regulations, ( that does seem to be a problem with the custodians hired by my company) but the mask requirement is not something that could be missed. It's plastered on every outside door, in every office, and we get reminder e mails about it at least once a week.

We are provided with masks, or we may use our own.

When I got home this afternoon I found an email from my local "news alert" that my state's governor has now authorized business owners to refuse admittance into any store or other business to someone not wearing a face covering. I was glad to see this.

Next week I will be going into the office twice a week, and on June 15th I will be back to full time in the office, so we are being told now. If I have to be the mask police at work I will be. I do not want to be put at risk by some idiot who thinks it's a "hoax" or simply doesn't like wearing a mask. In my life it's just me and my cats. They need me. That is what matters to me.

Pixel, Cully, Calvine and 4 others like this.
  11. purringcats

How do people get away with it?

Last night the police turned up (more than 24 hours after all the reports they received from various people) and the officers got met by a house full of people (people had been turning up all day) as the neighbour was having a party. 10 minutes later the police officers left, no one left my neighbours house. So how did my neighbour get away with this? There was more than 7 people in my neighbours house that do not live there (I know this because there was seven at one point in her garden all drinking alcohol and they all went into my neighbours house).

I feel at the moment the lockdown rules apply to everyone else but my neighbour.

#5111 purringcats, May 29, 2020
    Last edited: May 29, 2020
  12. purringcats

The neighbour has had people coming and going to her house ongoing since the lockdown started. I am not talking one person at a time I am talking 4 and more. The neighbour is blatant about it as well.

13. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

It looks like Scotland, Wales and NI are moving more in line with England now with regards the restrictions.

14. Happy Paws2

Easing the lockdown down worry's me, just read this on the BBC home pages.

Summary
    1. More than 200 schools across South Korea are forced to return to online teaching just days after being allowed back in classrooms
    2. Most of the affected schools are in an area outside of Seoul which has seen a fresh outbreak of the virus
    3. On Thursday South Korea reported 79 new cases within 24 hours - its highest number in two months
    4. Japan has seen a new cluster of infections emerge in the south-west, just days after the PM lifted the state of emergency
    5. Brazil reported a daily record of 26,417 new coronavirus cases on Thursday
    6. Moscow more than doubled the official death toll from Covid-19 for the month of April
    7. There are more than 5.8m cases

kimthecat and Calvine like this.
  15. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

This will happen as soon as people are allowed to mix more. It will go in waves. The issue is whether the healthcare systems can cope with the result of relaxation. If not, the restrictions will be increased again.

And in fairness, Brazil isn't a good example considering how they have been dealing with the virus.

16. Happy Paws2

I know... I just copied it before I noticed Brazil.

MilleD likes this.
  17. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

Spain has a rule about wearing a mask where social distancing is not possible. Exemptions for sport, eating and medical reasons. Trouble is everyone seems to have taken the rule to mean masks must be worn everywhere.

I’m getting a bit panicky as I need to go to the supermarket next week. I can’t wear a mask. Do I wear my thin scarf or risk being refused entrance.

Most people don’t wear them properly anyway and I’m not convinced the homemade masks do anything.

18. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

All we can do as individuals is limit our interactions and outings in order to safeguard ourselves from inevitable cavalier attitudes and any consequential peak that may arise.

lorilu likes this.
  19. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

In Hungary, wearing masks in shops and on public transport is compulsory and you can be denied entry if you're not wearing one.

When I drove into the city last Tuesday, I noticed that generally speaking,people who were out walking weren't wearing masks, but anyone who was close to, or going in or out of a shop was. Both our trainer and I wore a mask because whilst training the Schnauzer boys it was sometimes difficult to maintain a socially acceptable distance from each other.

I find wearing a mask uncomfortable and positively dangerous when walking the dogs because my two are quite small and unless they're walking in front of me I can't see them because the mask rides up on my face and blocks my sight.when I look down. Nevertheless experts like Dr Fauci have emphasised that wearing a mask or some form of covering over the mouth and nose whilst not 100% effective, does afford a degree of protection for oneself and others. so I'll continue wearing one when in public places. I'd rather have the discomfort of a mask than that of being intubated!

20. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

Thats what I understood as well. It seems like certain areas are experiencing their peaks at different times too, with some regions experiencing lots of hospital admissions and others getting over the worst of it. I know my area has mostly gotten over our peak for now.
    Honestly I think herd immunity is the way to go now. No telling when or if there will be a vaccine and keeping the country closed indefinately isnt an option...so whilst it sounds callous letting us catch this virus in small groups to develop immunity might be the solution. (although Im all for the social distancing and protective measures in shops, etc to keep outbreaks manageable).

Lurcherlad and MilleD like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice