Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Coronavirus outbreak

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by kimthecat, Jan 22, 2020.

1. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I don't know how education in schools is going to work..

Currently reception and year 1 and year 6 are going back, and schools are working in 'bubbles' so have halfed classes, kept those key worker children separate from those returning. Having staggered starts, staggered playtime, lunches and school finishing time. Approximately 15 minutes apart. To avoid crowding/congestion in playground from parents etc.. But this may still happen as some parents have children in different age groups.

So schools years up having less children in classes , am talking primary I already know one primary which isn't allowing year 6 back because they won't have space if they follow guidelines. Yes small classes make sense, but where are these classrooms come from?
    Prefab classes used to be drafted in many years ago. This used to cost schools money. Some schools don't have space, not all have large playgrounds for these or areas where they can be used.

The school hall, again these can be spacious and could be used, but some schools have halls the size of postage stamps.

Parents are worried, some except children need to go back. I think as a whole they are shocked at the age of the children, and their development, more the tactile stage of development.

Teachers are being honest, the guidance is stay away from students but they know this isn't possible.

Oh I have also been heard one room is being set aside too for ill children who onset with any symptoms of Covid-19 so of course that's a high temperature being one of them. So they isolate there before being picked up by parent/carer ASAP.

A lot more cleaning is going on in schools, but I don't know the ins and out I haven't asked. I will get more info.

Am guessing the path with everything more open, hoping the R rate goes down the small class sizes can go to their norm at some point I don't know.

There has been lots of support from heads that they understand anxiety from parents so they won't be penalised for not going back.

Calvine likes this.
  2. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

the 12vweeks isnt up yet
    so ill carry on

Lurcherlad and kimthecat like this.
  3. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

I was asked to come back to work if I want to. But if I am to rattle there on my own and kids not in school?
    Old enough but still when I am home at least can make sure they eat food not junk, do chores and don’t sleep all day.

4. Jesthar

Jesthar PetForums VIP

I'm thinking I wish I lived in Wales or Scotland... I won't be changing anything, I have no wish to be part of this herd immunity experiment.

The sensible thing would have been to have waited a few weeks to see if the recent relaxations - and the bank holiday weekend - led to another spike. They say the R number is under 1, but it's still statistically likely that people testing positive now were exposed before the relaxations.

And that's all I'll say, as I suspect everything else would be a bit to political...

5. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

I am glad non essential retail can reopen in a couple of weeks time. From what I have been hearing people are now and out and about pretty much as before lockdown, I`m told town was `rammed` today. If people are going out they may as well be spending money in the shops! Obviously I hope all retail manages to keep their staff and customers safe.

Not sure how the schools reopening is going to work. My mums neighbour tells me one of her children can go back to school as he is in year one but the school day will finish as normal at 3pm, currently he goes to school as the child of a key worker and can stay until 6pm. If he goes into class One he cant go into the key worker class after 3pm as they will not be not allowed to mix. Normally the grandparents collect form school and babysit if she and her husband are on a later shift obviously this is not an option under the current roles, so she says she will be in a position where she would like him to go back top school proper but cant see how at the moment. I don't think anything was mentioned about mixing of households, a bubble type thing was muted in the last lot of new guidelines so maybe will get some more information on that later in the week, there will have to be some relaxing of allowing family and friends to mix and actually inside houses not just outdoors if children are going back to school and more parents are getting back to work.

6. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

As the child been given notice of going back in year 1..have stated above key workers will be still be going to school kept together, kept together and taught appropriately as teachers do this anyway, working with child's abilities so can accomodate mixed ages especially of core subjects. So as far as I know key workers children stay in their own class together.. There are reportedly been low numbers per school and have been mixing.

Calvine and Lurcherlad like this.
  7. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

I think she was told on Friday by the headteacher the youngest could be go back to normal lessons from next week. His siblings will also still be attending school but in the key workers class, she was told this class will still be operating until 6pm but class one and six would end at 3pm and unfortunately the youngest would not be able to then join his siblings as they are not allowed to mix classes. From what she was telling me it sounds like she is going to keep him in the key workers class due to having no afterschool childcare although of course that situation maybe resolved by the time school is reopened. There are only a handful of children that attend keyworkers class, she said just 4 on some days which surprises me, the staff are on a rotor each doing either a morning or afternoon session, I know there has been a bit of muttering about who is doing more shifts and getting to pick and chose and one teacher not happy about it ( I know because she has told me herself) sounds like there might be a bit of a barney when they do all get back into the staff room!

8. purringcats

purringcats PetForums Member

My local market never shut down, they just reduced the amount of stalls on it and done what they have done in the shops by putting bits of tape on the floor indicating a two metre gap. Will be interesting to see how the likes of Primemark and other stores how they maintain social distancing. I chose Primemark as an example because they are a very busy clothes store. Personally I am still in my 12 weeks lockdown but I will not be going out for a few weeks after the none essential stores reopen.

Some people I have noticed believe that the lockdown rules apply to everyone else but themselves (eg my next neighbour who is in for a shock as her housing officer contacted me last week as he is investigating complaints about her from around the neighborhood and has indicated her tenancy is at risk but he cannot take action until the government change the rules) during the whole of the lock down.

Edited as spell check put the wrong word in.

#5088 purringcats, May 26, 2020
    Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Lurcherlad likes this.
  9. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

No open air markets were closed down in Hungary as far as I know, although local mayors did have the authority to do so so. It's compulsory to wear face masks and during the hours of 9 am to 12 noon, only people 65 years and older are allowed in shops, everyone else is turned away by the shop's security guard. OAP's have been told to remain at home except when they need to shop, but a major difference is that family are allowed to visit them without restriction.

As the incidence of new cases has fallen to 15 a day the restrictions are slowly being relaxed with the warning that if they start to peak again, another lock down will be declared.

polishrose and Lurcherlad like this.
  10. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

As far as opening all shops, We will still carry on as I've been doing, staying at home unless we forgot something important from our Sanisbury's weekly delivery and once a month OH goes to the post office to pay the rent and council tax and I go with him, stay outside just to get some fresh air. Everything else we are buying on line.

11. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I think it's pretty sensible to be honest. Unless you work in one of these places and are being forced to come in, there is no pressure for anyone to attend them if they don't want to.

I know people working in education and they are working very hard to ensure the settings are safe. As I understand it, people are not being forced to send their children back as the non-attendance fines are currently being waived?

Things have got to start moving again, and the summer is the best time to do which when the virus isn't vying with other seasonal diseases.

Cleo38, Lurcherlad and lullabydream like this.
  12. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

I think alot of people will be doing this. Its kinda annoying if you used to regularly get your shopping delivered and now cant:Shy! I mean I get it, obviously...just wish the supermarkets would employ more delivery people and packers as I really think that online grocery shopping is going to continue to be very popular.

I dont think that opening the shops is going to push the numbers back up though. Its mass gatherings like sporting events, concerts, etc that seem to create problems.
    Not sure how big a risk schools are though. Its sounds like kids are actually poor vectors for this disease (which would make a change from kids being little germ factories!LOL).

Pixel, cheekyscrip and Magyarmum like this.
  13. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

My daughter in law works at the local hospital but not on the corona wards. They were tested on Friday for the virus and have had their results today. They were delayed because of the bank holiday. She has tested positive for the virus so now my son and daughter in law are confined to their house for 14 days they have no shopping in and can't get a delivery slot for online shopping. We haven't seen them for a while but they are going to have to email me a shopping list and I will have to leave it in their garden for them to come out and get after I have gone.

14. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

I think it's too early to send the kids back to school so mine won't be going until September (yr 5 and 6). I won't be going shopping either. I don't need anything from town.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  15. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

That’s worrying all for you.

Did they actually have symptoms?

Hopefully, they won’t be too badly affected by it.

Cully likes this.
  16. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

Yes Beth has slight symptoms she has a slight temperature and has today lost her taste and smell. My son hasn't been tested but he has been told although she only has to isolate for 7 days he has to isolate for 14 days. He can work from home and has been since the lockdown started but as Beth doesn't drive even after the 7 days are up she still wouldn't be able to do any shopping or even go to work unless she used a taxi so they are both isolating for 14 days.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  17. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

@polishrose does your dog always sleep like that? So cute:D

18. polishrose

polishrose PetForums VIP

haha no she was wriggling around and I managed to get that photo.

SbanR likes this.
  19. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Just on the phone to my niece who is 3 next month not seen her since January she came on and said ‘ i miss you’.

20. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

Brought a lump to my throat

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice