Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cornsnake not feeding

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by Ashley_W, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Ashley_W

Ashley_W PetForums Newbie

Hello, I have a 10 year old female cornsnake who hasn’t eaten since Feb 14th, it’s now been 8 weeks and she’s refused her mouse again this past week.

She’s always fed on medium/large frozen mice that I thaw overnight then feed in the vivarium once a week.

She very rarely refuses food, occasionally she’ll refuse for a week or two if shedding but never for this long in the ten years I’ve had her, hence why I’m very worried.

She’s normally very placid but today I went to handle her and she recoiled and then tried to bite my hand, she’s never once gone for me so this is very uncharacteristic.

Having refused food for six weeks she’s then shed twice the past two weeks, both times a clean shed in one piece but with no interest in food after.

Any advice please do get in touch as I’m now very worried, thanks in advance, Ashley

2. Acidic Angel

Acidic Angel PetForums VIP

My first instinct would be that she is about to lay a clutch of infertile eggs, so I would advise you make up a laying box for her just in case. Even if she's never done this before, they can start at pretty much any time in their lives.

A simple laying box would be a box large enough for her to loosely curl up in, a hole cut in the lid big enouhg for her to go in through and then some damp spagnum moss inside. Place this on her warm side for her.

However, I would also recommend a possible vet trip. The change in behaviour could be that she's carrying slugs and feeling grumpy, or it could be that she's in pain and doesn't want to be touched.

3. Ashley_W

Ashley_W PetForums Newbie

Thank you so much for your reply, she lay unfertilised eggs in 2013 (aged 4) but hasn’t since. We were originally told she was a boy so were very surprised when that happened! I’ll make her a box like you say just incase. Thanks again.

Acidic Angel likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice