Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Corn snake (6yo) not eating

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by Redtile, Jun 10, 2019.

1. Redtile

Redtile PetForums Newbie

I've had my ghost corn for about 6 years now, since he was a baby. His feeding has always been really good, and I fed him using tongs up until about over a year ago, when he suddenly became confused and struck me multiple times. Since then, I put the food in while hes being handled and then put him in with it. I make sure it's dark and that he has plenty of privacy, in which he quickly eats the mouse (hopper) with no problem at all. From what I have seen, he has no health issues, is a healthy weight and the temperature is no different to what it usually is, regardless of the weather change. Last week, he skipped his meal, and I didnt think anything of it. However, on feeding day again today, he is refusing to eat again and I actually decided to dangle the mouse with the tongs to ensure he acknowledges it. He still wont eat. Should I be worried? It's the start of June so he shouldn't be excited for mating season? I'm really worried.

2. Acidic Angel

Acidic Angel Your ego does not surpass your pets wellbeing

It's still breeding season(just) so it's likely he's having a late reaction to it :)

Just to be sure though, I have a few husbandry questions.
    What temperature are his warm and cool side?
    How often do you feed and what size?

3. Redtile

Redtile PetForums Newbie

Hello, thankyou for your help:)
    Oh his cooler side, it's just below room temperature so about 23°c.
    On his hotter side, its just above that, so about 26°c. We did use a heat mat but he didnt like it and kept to the cold side all the time. Most of the heat emits from under his tank from a beardie we have underneath who uses a lamp, so we no longer use a source of heat. However, we haven't used a heat mat for years and we've had no problems until now.
    I'd say hes about 4 and a half feet, or maybe just below, a healthy weight also.
    Hes fed once a week, although it can vary to 10 days if we need to get more food. Always been this way.

4. Acidic Angel

Acidic Angel Your ego does not surpass your pets wellbeing

His warm side wants to be a bit warmer actually, it needs to be between 28-30c for him to be entirely comfortable.

Were you using a thermostat on the heat mat? If not, this is why he will have been avoiding it as it will have been too warm for him.

Once a week is usually too often for an adult corn snake, they gain fat very easily. A regular feeding schedule for an adult would be between every 10-14 days, sometimes longer depending on the snake.

5. Redtile

Redtile PetForums Newbie

Okay, thankyou, I'll leave his mat on and feed him next week as it would have been 21 days. I'll see how he gets on from there with a new feeding schedule

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice