Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Corgi face nipping/Hyper

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Daeg, May 17, 2010.

1. Daeg

Daeg PetForums Newbie

We just got a Pembroke Welsh Corgi that is 8 weeks old. Overall she is probably the best puppy you could ask for considering a new move to a different place. Our one problem with her is that she likes to jump, nip at lick your face and gets even more hyper when you attempt to pet her chest, stand up and ignore, offer calming signals or say NO then offer a distraction chew toy. Often she simply wants to play with the humans and not with toys that the humans offer. She tends to follow our hands instead of the treats or objects in our hands.

I realize that this is part of puppy behavior, but I'm asking if there are toys or games we can play with her that wont exacerbate her hyper attitude as tug games do. We take her outside for at least 1.5 hours a day, though she isn't leash trained we let her run around and sniff while on a lead. Again, once we come back inside or during the time outside she'll start getting hyper and nippy/pull.

Any suggestions?

2. lucysnewmum

lucysnewmum PetForums Senior

sounds like a similar problem that i have just dealt with on my foster dog Stella. she was all teeth, nipping, face licking and jumping when she first arrived, as you say for attention and confirmation.

what worked for both me and Stella was to put a command to the action and then reverse it! for 24hrs every time she nipped i said "ow! teeth". the following day when she attempted to nip i backed away so that she missed me, said "no teeth" and gave her a treat/click with the clicker then played a fetch game to get her distracted. within a few days she soon learnt that it was much nicer, and far more effective to come sit at my feet for a game or fuss.

the licking was tackled in much the same way. first i called the licking "kisses" then, when i didnt want a wash thank you very much, i would say "no kisses" and back away slightly. reward, click and distract when she complied.

three weeks down the line Stella now doesnt use her teeth much, stops using them when asked to, and gives nice kisses perfectly controlled and most enjoyable for both dog and me!
    hope this helps
    gilly

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice