UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How would you cope with your dog/s if you became ill long term? :confused:

I have five dogs, I did have six but I sadly had to have one pts last August. I have had as many as seven! But, I am lucky enough to be able to stay at home to take care of them all plus before I got ill 2 years ago, I was a canine behaviour consultant, choosing my own hours, having run my own training classes some years prior to that. I also had a job I could work around my dogs until I became ill - I have Lyme Disease from a tick bite. This has left me with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome symptoms as well as the Lyme Disease symptoms (I was diagnosed with CFS at first) so my energy level is poor and my mobility is partially restricted especially as I have osteo arthritis of one of my hips too). I am now on long term treatment through a private doctor as the NHS seems to be too wrapped up in politics over it to come up with its own real treatment (a couple of weeks antibiotics does not cure established Lyme Disease NHS!) and I do hope to see real improvement one day, maybe in months to come or maybe in a few years - one man took 9 years to be cured in America! :eek:

When I started to become ill, I had just bought Merlin, the working bred collie in my signature. My other dogs are all aging (8, 9, 9 & 13) so Merlin is the youngest by far. I managed to be able to do most of his basic training and took him to classes until the illness really took hold and since then I have trained him once or twice a week either in the house, garden or maybe on a park if I am up to it. My husband takes him out for his big walks. Because of my very supportive OH my dogs have all continued to get good exercise - I really would be stuck without him.

But if I had been living alone or with an unsupportive OH? (Sadly they do exist as many long term sick partners end up finding out!) I think in all fairness I would have had to let Merlin go to someone who could fulfill his needs and would have kept the others because they are older and less demanding anyway. I also think it helps that all of my dogs are well trained and that we all know where we are with each other. They are a delightful bunch who make me laugh so much and even on my bad days, I can be assured that one or two of them will end up making me smile with their tomfoolery! :D

My dog number will slowly dwindle down to two, maybe 3 at a push but I shall never have just one as I enjoy the interaction between dogs as well as the combination of personalities etc. :p

·
Registered
770 Posts
awww caroline im sorry to hear your ill. i wish i could help u look after your dogs ie walk them and play with them as im wishing to have my own dog walking business soon. im so pleased your OH is a big help well done OH. im sure the dogs sense problems but will show u unconditional love and affection

·
Registered
6,379 Posts
I would highly recommend you get yourself a mobility scooter!

I use one, and would be lost without it. My RC Bella wouldn't walk along side it to start with, but she loves it now.

If you can save the energy a walk takes you can use it for other things. Plus you still get to take your dogs out! Some scooters can do more than 8+ miles without a charge. You can also get all terrain scooters (like mine) so you can go off the beaten track too.

·
Registered
23,247 Posts
Aww, poor you. I really hope your private Dr manages to help you. (working for the NHS I can totally see why you would go private and maybe get cured this century!!:rolleyes:)
I purposefully got low energy/needs breeds coz I live alone and was considering future mishaps. If I had a bigger dog and couldnt walk it far I would probably buy a treadmill and try to train it to use that for its exercise.:)

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
davehyde & slbrown2108, thanks you two! I do not feel sorry for myself (well I do sometimes but I snap out of it pdq!) but I consider I am simply 'inconvenienced' and that one day I will get at least 50% better. I would like 100% better but miracles seem to be in short supply in my neck of the woods! :rolleyes:

Aurelia, I did have a scooter but I had to have one that went in the car due to the pavements round here being too narrow for both scooter and dog/s. (comes of living in a village I suppose) But because of my short supply of energy and the fact that doing anything remotely heavy causes me pain and fatigue, I became reluctant to take myself, the scooter and a dog out in the car as it took so much energy getting scooter into the car, then out of it, putting it together (battery weighed very heavy!) then having to dismantle it and put it back into the car again to come home! It was taking me two days to recover each time plus sometimes I just did not have the strength to dismantle it! I had to ring OH up to come to where I was straight from work once as I was stranded with no-one to help me. I ended up selling it as it was a waste of time. It was ok if OH could come out with me but sadly that was not very often. :(

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Aww, poor you. I really hope your private Dr manages to help you. (working for the NHS I can totally see why you would go private and maybe get cured this century!!:rolleyes:)
I purposefully got low energy/needs breeds coz I live alone and was considering future mishaps. If I had a bigger dog and couldnt walk it far I would probably buy a treadmill and try to train it to use that for its exercise.:)
Thanks catz! I am afraid that my nick name for the NHS is Naff Health Service! I do appreciate that many good people work for it though and that their hands are firmly tied by the NICE guidelines. My GP is one of those. He cannot help his intial ignorance of Lyme Disease, though I do hope that the info I gave him may have prompted him to look outside the NHS mantras for some up to date info instead!:) In the meantime I hope to go to see him one day as the new improved me (I said one day!) and totally flabbergast him! He dumped me with the ubiquitous CFS diagnosis and then basically left me to it, I figured it was caused by 'something' though and it was another 20 months before I twigged that I had had the bullseye rash so typical of being bitten by a tick back in June 2008 prior to all my symptoms starting!:eek:

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Caroline, sorry that you are ill but moreso I admire you for taking what life throws at you and doing your absolute best :) I have no doubt that dogs in the lives of those 'inconvenienced' (to use your term lol!) are a benefit to the person. I am sure that you repay them for that 100-fold :thumbup:

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Oh hun, im glad you have a great OH and that he helps you out, and understands how much you love your dogs!

My mum has ME which is/like CFS and i know how bad it is for her. I really hope they find a cure sooner rather than later.

HUGE hugs hun.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hiya hun - altho i dont have muliple dogs i too have a mobility limiting illness - and chronic pain - so in some respects i suspect i understand!!

After a recent operation i hired a doggie walker for when hubby was out of the country the joys of being a RAF wife !! (he was the most amazing lad)

I wondered, do you have a motability car?? i do and will be able to have a hoist fitted for a scooter when i need one !

Do you use walking aids at all ? I have recently got some new crutches and they have made a big difference..

ttyl stephanie

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hiya hun - altho i dont have muliple dogs i too have a mobility limiting illness - and chronic pain - so in some respects i suspect i understand!!

After a recent operation i hired a doggie walker for when hubby was out of the country the joys of being a RAF wife !! (he was the most amazing lad)

I wondered, do you have a motability car?? i do and will be able to have a hoist fitted for a scooter when i need one !

Do you use walking aids at all ? I have recently got some new crutches and they have made a big difference..

ttyl stephanie
Hi Stephanie!

Unfortunately I have tried twice for DLA and can't get it, even at the lowest rate. Most people with CFS are turned down flat until they go to the time and trouble of going through a tribunal and then they are almost always successful! :rolleyes: But I gave up bothering as it would only get me angry and upset to have to do so and my energy is better spent elsewhere. I have a decent car anyway and yes, I did consider a hoist but I would need a different car and I don't fancy any that would be suitable.

I do have a three wheeled walker which I do use if I am going to have to walk for more than ten minutes or so. I keep it in the car and I do take Merlin around a local park that has a nice flat path round it sometimes but I have to time that carefully as last time I did it, I needed 48 hours to rest up afterwards yet I rested on benches three times on the way round. It is such a short distance too but the pain my hips and legs end up in is unbelievable and I get so tired! I also have a lovely wheelchair that my OH pushes me in if we go out somewhere for the day. Other than that, I manage with a stick.

Hey! I am only 48 by the way! Anyone would think I was an old lady! I stuck butterfly and ladybird stickers on my wheelchair and tri-walker just to customise them! Am still looking for some 'go-faster' stripes and some rocket launchers ala James Bond style! :lol:

Merlin is happy for me just to throw him a ball over and over and the other dogs just like to pootle around doing dog stuff anyway! :D

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi Stephanie!

Unfortunately I have tried twice for DLA and can't get it, even at the lowest rate. Most people with CFS are turned down flat until they go to the time and trouble of going through a tribunal and then they are almost always successful! :rolleyes: But I gave up bothering as it would only get me angry and upset to have to do so and my energy is better spent elsewhere. I have a decent car anyway and yes, I did consider a hoist but I would need a different car and I don't fancy any that would be suitable.

I do have a three wheeled walker which I do use if I am going to have to walk for more than ten minutes or so. I keep it in the car and I do take Merlin around a local park that has a nice flat path round it sometimes but I have to time that carefully as last time I did it, I needed 48 hours to rest up afterwards yet I rested on benches three times on the way round. It is such a short distance too but the pain my hips and legs end up in is unbelievable and I get so tired! I also have a lovely wheelchair that my OH pushes me in if we go out somewhere for the day. Other than that, I manage with a stick.

Hey! I am only 48 by the way! Anyone would think I was an old lady! I stuck butterfly and ladybird stickers on my wheelchair and tri-walker just to customise them! Am still looking for some 'go-faster' stripes and some rocket launchers ala James Bond style! :lol:

Merlin is happy for me just to throw him a ball over and over and the other dogs just like to pootle around doing dog stuff anyway! :D
i'm only 27 !!!!!!

i have a 3 wheeler but i seem to trip over more when i use that so i have a set of crutches from [url=http://www.coolcrutches.com which are the best thing since sliced bread !!!

My condition is a spinal cord injury of sorts (all rather complicated and long winded) and i have a metal pelvis !!!!

I am hoping to be able to afford a decent wheel chair before too long as i have a Nhs special and i cant get any speed on it and its sooo bulky but its over £1000 for they type i would need and as i am not in it that often atm i wont bite that bullet !!

anywhos

we can be iccle old ladies together if you want :thumbup::lol:

·
Registered
8,792 Posts
I also have a long term illness, the dogs actually help me and fortunately they are happy to snuggle up when I get sick and actually remind me to eat as they have set meal times to co ordinate with mine. Most of the time I am fine just tire easily so I don't work as such part time at the most. Just had a month off due to a cold yep when I get a cold I get that sick takes a month to get back from it. But that is a small price to pay. I hope that the new meds work for you and big cyber hugs to you and hubby what a good guy....Jill

·
Registered
83 Posts
I also have a long term illness, the dogs actually help me and fortunately they are happy to snuggle up when I get sick and actually remind me to eat as they have set meal times to co ordinate with mine. Most of the time I am fine just tire easily so I don't work as such part time at the most. Just had a month off due to a cold yep when I get a cold I get that sick takes a month to get back from it. But that is a small price to pay. I hope that the new meds work for you and big cyber hugs to you and hubby what a good guy....Jill
Maggie is like that - its sooo sweet she just knows (before me usually) and she also reminds me of things too - funny isnt is !!

wishing us all good health xx

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i'm only 27 !!!!!!
we can be iccle old ladies together if you want :thumbup::lol:
Yeah! I plan to grow old disgracefully so I may as well start now! :D

Sorry to read that Jill. It sucks having no energy doesn't it? There's so many things I would love to still do and I can't. I used to walk for miles, especially in the countryside. I thought nothing of driving 150 + miles and then come back home again in the same day! My walking boots are now going to last me for years though so I suppose that's one good thing! :rolleyes:

Yes, the OH is a good 'un! Makes me laugh a lot too! Merlin is trained that when I say 'Kisses!', he jumps up and licks my cheek! I said it to him the other day in the kitchen and OH gave me a peck before he did! :lol:

·
Registered
672 Posts
Hi all gonna have to join the old lady group lol:D
I've got Crohn's disease and through that i've also got Arthritis, so some days i cant even get out of bed so my hubby does it all for me, we coped with 2 kids so a dog was never going to be a problem, though i did wait for 3 years for it to improve before i got Izzy.:D
Life always throws surprises at us and we just have to get on and adapt as best we can but it can be damn hard.
Try to keep smiling ladies:D

·
Banned
19,820 Posts
I'm not ill but I have a baby who is in Edinburgh (2 hours from here) in the NNU and it is going to be at Least 6 weeks (rough guess going on other tiny preemies) before they could even consider moving her closer.

Thankfully my dads gf will take Dixie as much as I need to, and Dix gets on great with and settles in very quickly with my dads dally, lab and border terror (her best mate). Dave currently stays with next door and his brother whenever we are away but we are due to move this month so I will be asking my auntie (who lives close to new house) to look after him, she lost her dog last year and misses having her around.

·
Registered
770 Posts
well still wish i could help if ur close to me due to me not having a car lol i would help seeing i love collies and could bring my lil pupster round too heehee

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.