Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Coping with adolescence

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Phoolf, Nov 3, 2012.

1. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Kes has turned into a very trying madam of late, me and the OH were just discussing how draining it has become with her not listening well (more with him than me), her now failing recall etc. Any tips from lovely PFers to help us through this awful phase? :(

2. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Raising a puppy: Dealing with dog adolescence

Just keep telling yourself it will pass, it's just a phase etc. Go back to basics with training and keep at it, don't let her practise bad habits. I don't think there's much else you can do. Maybe join us on the What Are You Working On? thread, the support there has been fantastic for those of us with grotty teenagers.

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Back to basics, completely, with everything pretty much, and hang on for the ride - stay consistent and stay patient.
    Wine.
    Coffee.
    Chocolate.

4. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Thanks Sarah. It's particularly bothersome at the moment as my mental health is up and down so I'm finding it quite hard to cope with repeating everything all the time, not being able to trust her off lead in some situations anymore is very hard too.

5. Beth17

Beth17 PetForums VIP

I can sympathise I am finding Sam very draining as well I just keep taking a day at a time.

I find looking at his puppy photos helps as well :)

6. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

Yeah, it's not much fun and in some ways it's easy to see why so many dogs are given up at this stage. We've had some rough times with Spen over the last few months but there seems to be light at the end of the tunnel now.

My collie was the stuff nightmares are made of. Truly horrendous from about 6 months old until 18 months but after that wasn't really a problem.

7. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Absolutely; Kilo was a little gitbag at times...and now he has just come through it I'm going to do it all again!!

8. Starlite

Starlite PetForums VIP

It's all been said really!

Also, I can offer you my Malamute for a weekend which will make you grateful your dog will actually grow out of ignoring you unlike Short Arse who at 3 still has selective hearing :rolleyes:

9. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

You must be mad! Kes is my first and probably last puppy. Rescue adult dogs from now on.

10. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Memories are short! If they weren't no woman would go through childbirth more than once! :D

11. springerpete

springerpete PetForums VIP

They say Valium is good............ Seriously, it's all been said, dont think for a minute that you're the only one, we all go through it. They hit puberty and become spotty teenagers, the hormones begin to surge through their bodies and you wonder what the Hell happened to all the hours of training you put in. Trust me, it passes, even Flyte, who is a pretty biddable young lad has had his '' Talk to the paw '' moments. But he's come through it without me having to seek therapy or resort to the bottle. It's a trial I know, but it's usually short lived and there is light at the end of the tunnel.
    Good luck.

12. Phoolf

Phoolf PetForums VIP

Thanks Pete. I think Valium would actually be lovely about now! :D

13. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Now now Pete, no fibbing :nono: ;).

14. springerpete

Look Phoolf, I've prided myself on having some really good dogs over the years but if I was to say that any of them were perfect I'd be lying, not only to you, but myself. There is no such thing, they can all of them have their moments when everything seems to go out of the window, my old Bracken was as good a gun dog as I'm ever likely to have but on times he could be as stubborn and wilful as any dog. As far as training is concerned if I see that my dog is not in a receptive mood then I just call a halt, no point in getting frustated, it does neither you or the dog any good. There's always tomorrow. I've never looked for a quick fix. My methods may not fit with the accepted take on training but they've worked for me and the only grey hairs I have, (And there are a lot.) have been put there by the Lady Rose and not my dogs. I shall, of course deny ever saying that.....

15. springerpete

Now George, you know very well that my occasional nip of the malt is purely for medicinal purposes. Shame on you for suggesting otherwise.....

16. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

We believe you Pete, millions wouldn't ;)

17. LahLahsDogs

LahLahsDogs PetForums VIP

Yup, back to basics and just ride the storm.. keep up everything you know has worked in the past and be very consistent.

It may be a phase, but for me and Rufus I wondered if it was me. Maybe I could see that he was understanding the rules and being a good boy, and I felt like I could relax with the training. It wasn't a decision that was made to relax with training, it just kind of happened I think, and that's when he started being a monkey and testing me. So it was back to basics, reminded him of the rules and kept it up.

So yes, it may be an adolescent phase, but I suspect alot of dog's 'phases' are down to relaxing on training a bit once you think they've got it. :)

18. LurcherOwner

LurcherOwner Guest

Ignoring the attention seeking/biting or whatever and wear thick sleeves if you have a biter like mine.:rolleyes: Ooh and avoid overstimulants or triggers.
    Um upkeep training, short sharp bursts.

Can't think of anything useful to say as I have a 'Kevin' in the house too!

19. metaldog

metaldog PetForums VIP

I took Pippi and Bizkit on as they were rejected during adolescence by previous owners. I had no memory of them as good little puppies so assumed they were untrained and started at the very beginning.

I took both to training class. It was invaluable in teaching them to focus on me while lots of other stuff was going on around us. Particularly other dogs running around.

You could raise the bar with the rewards you use, making them higher value than normal treats and make yourself more interesting and rewarding than anyone/thing else. I usually resort to liver cake, hot dog sausages and squeaky toys for the dogs and cider for me :)

20. Bonsai

Bonsai PetForums Member

Bonsai is now coming up to 9 months and sometimes he literally gets the devil in him. I try to remember It will pass as it did with my childhood dog but it is completely draining.

Even worse now since he has really started to show signs of separation anxiety even when I go upstairs and my husband is downstairs with him he will bark and cry and try and destroy something. We are just pushing on with training and listening to the advice of the lovely helpful people with great advice who have all been there.

Just keep strong and drink wine :0)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice