Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

cooling coats

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by CrazydogsX2, May 25, 2017.

1. CrazydogsX2

CrazydogsX2 PetForums Senior

Hi does anyone on here use or recommend the Easi-dri or aquamat cooling coats?

thinking of purchasing one for Hudson but don't want to spend that sort of money for something that potentially might might not help him.

It would be to wear on walks :) thanks everyone :) PSX_20170524_213705.jpg

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

No because my dogs have hair.............

In my view, they can only be of use when used on a hairless or virtually hairless dog.

In order to cool the dog the skin has to be wet, not the fur.

It seems pretty logical to me as of course if they worked like a lot of people attest then surely sled dogs etc would be freezing all the time because they have wet snow on their fur?

I think they are a waste of money and after seeing and reading about the tests they did several years ago with dogs wearing cooling coats whilst on a treadmill demonstrating they made no difference at all, I would not waste my money.

3. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

4. icklemunch

icklemunch PetForums Senior

Have you seen the ice dog bandana's?

They look fab! Am actually ordering ine today. Bought a ruffwear cool coat last year have never put it on for walks as i dunno he just doesn't look comfy. Have used it once we have got in for 10 mins and seems to work for that.

5. evel-lin

evel-lin PetForums VIP

I've got the ruffwear swamp cooler coat for Pippin. He's got a thick black coat which gets very hot very quickly in the sun. When he's wearing the coat his fur is cool underneath and the lighter colour of the coat probably reflects more of the sun's heat than his black fur would. I understand the idea of the dog's natural coat insulating them from heat as well as cold, however I do feel for Pippin at least the cool coat makes a positive difference

6. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

They were a big fat waste of money for us.
    Although it cools the fur, it made no real difference to his core temp. So it now sits in the draw unused.

7. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Yes my dogs wear them at shows in high summer temperatures. Mine are chamois leather type material that you submerge in cold water and then wring out. May not be scientifically proven but I know my dogs appear much more comfortable and stop panting when they've got them on.

Jobeth likes this.
  8. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Those are the cool coat ones. You can feel how much cooler they are under it and I can tell the difference as well.

Twiggy likes this.
  9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I had been thinking about one so this is interesting. No need at home as it is never hot but it does get warmer here and poor Candy had to go to the vet today as her COPD flared up in the heat.

10. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

A friend of mine bought herself one which she sticks between the pillow and pillow case on hot and sultry nights.....LOL

Jobeth likes this.
  11. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

I have towelling coats for mine. They absorb water from hydro and swimming, they can also be soaked to keep them cool in the heat. I've had (got) expensive cooling coats in a cupboard somewhere, but the towelling ones are far better IMO.

12. Freyja

Freyja PetForums VIP

I made my own using some material and those jell balls that swell when they are wet. I made a coat with 2 layers and they sewed channels along the sides along which I threaded already soaked balls. They didn't look pretty but they worked well and did the job keeping the dogs cool while we were at shows.

13. CrazydogsX2

CrazydogsX2 PetForums Senior

Thank you everyone my connection had been playing up and I was unable to answer, thanks for all the feedback. I think I will look into the bandanas as those might not be as restricted for him :)

14. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Keep cool do bandanas as well as the coats. They also have mats.

15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I had the swamp cooler for one of my previous dogs (SBT, so very short coated) and it just made him hotter.

Tbh, ive now decided that if its hot enough for me to consider using a product to try and reduce the heats impact, then its simply too hot to take my dog(s) out and about.

At home id rather invest in fans or portable AC units.

16. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I do have Easi-dri coat for Dillon I don't walk him in it as I think they are rather heavy which isn't what they want when it's hot. I do sometime put it on after a walk, but Dillon would rather come home and lie on a cool mat.

The vet told me not to put a wet towel on him as the heat can't get out, so instead of cooling him it will make him hotter.

17. tantrumbean

tantrumbean PetForums Senior

I have an Easidry. My Irish Terrier really used to hate heat - and coats! This was the only coat he ever agreed to wear and it made him much happier and comfortable in summer. Only disadvantage was that we had to carry a bottle of water on walks, so we could keep re-wetting it. It was great for agility shows as well to keep him cool in the queue

18. speug

speug PetForums VIP

I use the chamois type ones (can't remember exact make or be bothered going out to the van to look). I was sceptical at first but Angus is certainly more comfortable wearing one on really sunny days - apart from anything else, covering a large amount of his blackness with a light coloured coat stops him heating so much. He's surprisingly cool under the coat and right down to the skin too. I didn't have much hope of him wearing it for long but it doesn't bother him at all and he can even walk about in it without developing "collie legs" and being unable to move - and will wear it unsupervised in the van while his brother has an agility lesson without taking it off or destroying it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice