Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Cooking for your dogs/raw feeding. Is this ok?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by tafwoc, Jun 6, 2010.

1. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

Now i know this doesn't count as raw, and the only reason i did it was because i ran out of Arden grange and the order won't arrive till tuesday, so i thought id try to cook. I cooked them up 2 different meals, the first consisted of cooked cod and trout with rice, raw cauliflower, 2 carrots and a banana. Which they loved. And to my surprise there were no bad after effects. ( i did use the last of the crunchies of arden grange for the first meal.

The second meal was 3 cooked chicken breasts, 3 cloves of garlic, 4 mashed potatoes, 2 carrots and a hand full of asparagus, oh and a teaspoon of oil.

Again this went down fine. But what i'm saying is, i can't stand the thought of feeding raw meat, so is cooking it ok? And also have i nearly killed my dogs with these meals? :eek: I wouldn't mind carrying this on, but i would have to cook the meat, i can't do all that cutting up of hearts ect, i would just buy the chicken breasts and other pre packaged stuff at the super market. So should i change and start cooking meals or stick with their arden grange and wainrights?

Im all confuzzled. Was just really nice to see my fussy dog enjoying her food too.

Any thoughts or ideas greatly welcomed.

2. lauz_1982

lauz_1982 PetForums VIP

I have no idea! I'm just putting Mac onto Arden Grange. I have seen a lot about feeding raw and trying to find things out. I didn't want to look and not post anything and would like to hear what the others say! Hope someone comes along soon and lets you know!

Laura :)

3. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

I think I'd steer clear of that much garlic, it's toxic to dogs in large quantities. I use a bit of garlic powder in one of their meals a day as I've heard it helps prevent flea's, but that could be an old wives tale, and I'll be switching to CSJ's billy no mates as soon as the garlic runs out.

Feeding raw is better for the dog since cooking the meat can kill a lot of the nutriets that are good for dogs, but as long as you make sure the dogs are getting all the nutrients etc they need, I see no reason you can't continue to feed them this way. I'm sure someone wo knows much more about home cooked dog food can advice.

I couldn't stomach cutting up all sorts of animal bits to feed my dogs either (squeemish veggie that I am), but they are fed raw. I feed DAF minces, take it out the freezer, defrost, feed, all done and no mess. There's a lot of pre made raw stuff you can buy.

4. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

You can feed it cooked, but you do cook some of the goodness out of it, maybe you could suppliment on top of the regular food?

5. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

Ok cheers guys. Yeh im a veggie too, i just can't stand the site of the raw stuff. lol. They were only small garlic cloves, id say them put together make the size of one large piece.

There was enough food made for 5 dogs though.

Yeh i will have to have a look at those frozen blocks. Does it say how long to defrost them for? I am rubbish with stuff like that. lol. I think thats another reason why i won't feed raw, or doesn't it matter if its still a bit frozen?

6. sid&kira

sid&kira PetForums VIP

Kira eats raw frozen a lot, helps her to cook down, and make her have to work at the mince aswell which cleans her teeth :thumbup: Nothin wrong with frozen :thumbup:

tafwoc likes this.
  7. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Check out Durham Animal feeds. That's where I get mine.

I also feed frozen sometimes too, especially in this weather. When I feed them a meal I generally take out the next days food right after, since it usually takes about 24 hours to defrost properly.

I chose the minces as a compromise, this way the dogs get raw fed but I don't have to deal with it lol.

tafwoc likes this.
  8. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

Ok cool. I think i will try these. Sound good that i don't have to deal with the messy stuff. and then do you just add veg on top?

Cheers guys youv been brill. Reps for both of you

9. tafwoc

tafwoc PetForums VIP

I really like the look of this one, and its rather cheap too! Cheers hun, i think i will try it, and see if they like it.

10. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

No problem, good company berriewood, I've used them often. Hope the dogs enjoy.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice