Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Controlling constant whining

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Winniethepoodle, Oct 15, 2020 at 12:18 PM.

1. Winniethepoodle

Winniethepoodle PetForums Junior

Does constant whining get any better as puppy gets older (currently almost 14 weeks old)? It seems she whines for any reason whatsoever, and sometimes it seems there is no reason at all - when we have covered all options that it may relate to. Some days she whines less than others but it is everyday regardless. My previous dog did not whine all the time but she was a lot older when we got her (she was at least 6 months old, possibly more) so I don't know if she did whine a lot as a puppy. I have nothing to compare her to. I'm not sure if I just have a whiny pup and we need to try and control the whining and if so how? Or if it's a normal thing and they grow out of it. I tried the adaptil diffuser and for a day she practically stopped all whining and thought the diffuser was working a miracle but the next day she went back to whining again although it is a little bit less than before. Maybe 20% better. At this rate I feel I will never be able to go out and leave her if I have to do any shopping as crate training during the day is taking forever. She is wonderful at night and sleeps in her night crate upstairs for 9 hours and we are in the room next door (whether or not she is sleeping the whole time I'm not sure but she is totally silent anyway). But during wakey hours its a different story. If they grow out of it then I can sit it out.

2. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Is she looking at you when she whines, or just randomly wandering around whining?

Torin. likes this.
  3. Winniethepoodle

Both. She doesn't really look at me unless she wants something and then I go through all the things it could be and hopefully I find what it is. She sometimes whines when I move to another room to do something and she will follow me. She will go for a nap but as soon as I move from my chair she looks up and follows me so doesn't get a full nap so sometimes I thinks she whines because she is tired, but then I can never leave my chair for fear of her getting up to follow me. I tell her to stay in the room and 99% of the time she stays and I keep coming back to tell her to stay, but she watches until I get back. She whines if she can't see my husband anywhere. Sometimes she just whines when we are both in the room and not looking at either of us, and she is playing with her toys. It's so hard to know what she is whining for when we have covered our options. I was hoping it was a puppy phase.

4. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

I was just trying to work out if she whines because she’s uncomfortable/in pain ( I guess you’ve asked your Vet?), is whining specifically for your attention, is anxious about something, or whatever other reason.

Does she have enough to occupy her, like Kongs, chew toys, enough exercise?

Or maybe she has a little separation anxiety as well, if she has issues around you moving. I didn’t see that you said what breed she is but some are more prone to it. There’s a ‘sticky’ on here to read.

Sorry, there’s more questions than answers but if you’ve really got all this stuff covered then you can hope that as she gets older and grows in confidence then she’ll get less whiny.

Hopefully somebody else on here can come up with something, too.

tabelmabel and Torin. like this.
  5. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Administrator
    Staff Member

Could be she's just a vocal pup who likes to chat.
    Bobby, 8 years old, is a very chatty boy who chats away most of his waking hours. When he's happy and playful he growls, when he's excited and impatient he yelps and howls and jumps up and down ( dinner time and walkies) He seems to have a full vocabulary !
    Reena, on the other hand, rarely makes a sound apart from barking at the postman.

6. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Puppies whine, follow you around, and seem to be asking for something but don't know what they want. They're puppies, they're annoying and busy and bitey and whiney and then they crash and are so cute while they're sleeping and then they wake up and pee on the rug.

Just go with it, it will be okay!

If she follows you around the house, let her. Yep, she'll be tired, but she'll eventually learn that it's okay to lay down somewhere and that you'll be back. Penny has been here 2 months and she's just now learning that if she's sat on the sofa with me and I get up, she can stay on the sofa and watch to see what I do and then decide if she wants to follow or not.
    If you keep catering to the pup instead of going about your normal daily routine, she won't ever learn what your routine is and how to predict you and your behavior.

See, dogs watch us. They learn that when you put on *these* shoes it means you're going to walk them and *these* shoes means you're going to work, and fiddling in the kitchen means you'll probably stay there for a bit, and sitting in *this* chair with a book means you'll probably stay in the chair, etc., etc.
    Dogs get confidence by learning their humans' behavior. So as much as possible, you need to stick to what you would normally do because she is watching you, learning, and figuring out how best she should respond. If she follows you around, that's absolutely fine. She'll learn eventually what happens in each room of the house and what to expect, but she has to follow you to do that. Let her. It's really okay!

7. Winniethepoodle

She is a miniature x toy poodle. She saw the vet on Sunday and she is fine. She has a very small umbilical hernia but it does not bother her in any way as confirmed by the vet. She shows no signs of any pain when playing, eating, drinking, being held, walkies etc and it will be repaired in the next couple of months. She has umpteen chews and toys, some for her to play by herself and some to play with us. She gets 2 age appropriate walks, and a quick one before bed to empty herself. I suppose the majority of whining is around us so could be more separation anxiety as we are moving around the house all the time so it probably could be put it down to that. If it was down to that, is it something she would grow out of or if she is prone to it anyway are we able to do anything to improve it?

8. SusieRainbow

Staff Member

So true !
    If I settle down for a nap in the afternoon I usually put a blanket over my legs. Reena makes a bee-line for me and demands to be picked up and snuggled under the blanket next to me.

Torin., DanWalkersmum and O2.0 like this.
  9. Winniethepoodle

Yes she is a vocal pup too and grunts, growls and barks. I sometimes get into a 'conversation' with her and she answers me back which is adorable. I just wish she would whine less.

10. Winniethepoodle

Thank you. I will go about as normal. She has learnt already that when I go to my mum's bedroom to get her ready for bed she can come and sit on mum's armchair to watch and then as soon as mum is in bed she runs upstairs to her own bed. It's all so new to me. As I said my previous dog came to us older so I never went through some of these puppy phases and don't know what is normal and what isn't.

11. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Lol murphles can be a whiner and i just tell him to shut up! Works every time!

I like your point about pain though - and he does get his painkillers first if i think that might be the trouble. Im not that cruel:eek:

DanWalkersmum and Linda Weasel like this.
  12. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I have a whiner. When he was a pup it was absolutely constant - drove me batty! He has food intolerances which weren't picked up for a while so I think he used to whine when his tummy hurt, and then it became a habit. He still can be a whiner but generally it's either because he wants fresh water or needs a poop, although he will whine for attention sometimes too. If it gets too much, I have an 'on your bed' cue which also stops the whining.

My other dog was never a whiner, so I think it depends on the puppy.

SusieRainbow and Winniethepoodle like this.
  13. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

Billy is 11 weeks and wanders around whining sometimes for no apparent reason. Dottie our 5 year old terrier was vocal as a pup too, so much so we had to leave the room at puppy class twice because she was being disruptive! She never whines now and rarely barks so I think it's just something else puppies do that they eventually grow out of.

Winniethepoodle likes this.
  14. Winniethepoodle

This gives me hope, thank you :Happy

15. SusieRainbow

Staff Member

I thought I remembered you sayng that Elliot was a whiner, nearly tagged you.
    It's funny how some dogs just love the sound of their own voices !:rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice