Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

Control Your Dog OR Lose Your Home

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by sallyanne, Jan 8, 2008.

  1. sallyanne

    sallyanne Guest

    Control Your Dog OR Lose Your Home

    Housing estate residents who keep a fighting dog in their property could risk losing their home if they fail to ensure the animal is properly controlled.

    The tough sanction applies not just to council tenants but any friend or relative who they allow to bring a dog onto their premises.

    The council has said it will not hesitate to use existing powers in its tenancy regulations to protect neighbours and other residents from animals which are encouraged to behave in an intimidating manner.

    People with concerns about the way a dog is being treated can report these in confidence to the council's 24 hour help line on 020 8871 7532.

    This number can be used to alert the council's dog control team to any instance of irresponsible dog ownership at any address in the borough. Those targeted for action could face prosecution in the courts leading to an anti social behaviour order (ASBO).

    The council is also seeking new legislation aimed at bringing back the dog licence. It has outlined the proposal to environment minister Jonathan Shaw and is now seeking the backing of other London authorities for a new Parliamentary Bill.

    The new licence would be restricted to pit bull type dogs and others not currently classified under the Dangerous Dogs Act.

    To qualify the owner would have to pass a fit and proper person test and pay a substantial annual fee that would help to pay for effective enforcement of the new scheme.

    Council leader Edward Lister explained:

    "The problem is that just about anyone can own a dog. Most of the problems we have today are caused by young people aged between 13 and 17 who keep these menacing dogs yet have no understanding of the responsibilities of ownership.

    "Any new licensing scheme would have to be properly funded – that's why it's important to set the fee at a realistic rate. Given the money that people are prepared to spend on these dogs I really don't see why we should not be looking at a licence fee of around £500.

    "A borough like Wandsworth with a dedicated dog control unit and a 24 hour hot line for worried residents would be a perfect place to trial a new scheme. We could very quickly build up a very clear picture of just where these dogs were and who owned them.

    "Until ministers get to grips with the problem at a national level we will continue to do everything we can locally to respond to our residents' concerns.

    "We want people to use the help line so we have the information we need to act on – whether it's an ASBO or a court order for possession of a council-owned property, you can be sure we will take a hard line."

    Only four breeds are covered by the Dangerous Dogs Act – the Pit Bull Terrier, Japanese Tosa, Dogo Argentino and Fila Braziliera. Most problems with fighting dogs involve Staffordshire Bull Terriers, Bull Mastiffs, Douge De Bordeaux and Rotweillers which are excluded.

    Link Below
    Media centre - Control your dog – or lose your home - Wandsworth Council
  2. kirksandallchins

    kirksandallchins PetForums VIP

    Nov 3, 2007
    Likes Received:
    I think it's a good idea making people responsible for the actions of their dogs - and any visiting dogs. I think it should be extended to include the actions of the tenants themselves and also their children.

    Idiotic people and their bad-mannered kids are much more of a problem than ANY breed of dog:mad:
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice