Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Constipation in Rescue Cat

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Speranza, Jul 13, 2018.

1. Speranza

Speranza PetForums Newbie

Hi, after losing my 21-year-old cat two years ago I thought I was done… But one of my daughters posted a link to a beautiful black 10-year-old cat who I met and adopted. He’d only had one other viewing in two months. He was obese when brought into the centre, and is still overweight but doing well. They told me he had had a problem with constipation whilst on the Obesity diet. He’s doing well with me, he likes to have two trays and is passing urine a few times a day. I’m keeping him well-hydrated by putting his pouch food in water. (Two sachets a day. He’s 6.2kg) He has only defaecated once since Sunday but he is content, affectionate, relaxed and not straining on the tray. Just not even trying. I’m loathe to take him to the vet because he had a long journey here. I’ve never adopted an adult cat before and I know normally constipation is a vet issue. Any ideas? (I am going to talk to the vet today but I wondered if anyone had experienced this?)

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

It could be due to a change in environment and/or food - but I think a visit to the vet is advisable if he hasn't poo'ed in nearly a week.

Speranza and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

@Speranza
    I think going to the vet is best. For some cats constipation can be helped with adding a bit of fiber such as canned pumpkin or supplement foods with pumpkin but speak to your vet first.

Pinto and Speranza like this.
  4. Speranza

He's definitely hydrated and weeing with no problem, but of course I don't know his history. It sounds as though he has been obese for a long time although now I'd call him more overly plump. I don't know if they've ever checked him for bowel stuff (eg megacolon) or how bad the constipation was. I'm going to see if anything has happened when I get home and if not, I will speak to the vet this evening. Thank you! :)

5. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

I believe a bit of egg yolk (cooked is fine) can also help with gut motility, while the pumpkin would help with bulk. Definitely worth a trip to the vet first though.

6. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Yes, add egg yolk to his diet to keep things moving for him, but like the others, I would want a vet to check him out, on a wet diet he should be pooping daily, or at least every 36 hours.

7. Speranza

Yes, I agree. I've just spoken to the vet. They offered me an appointment tomorrow but I'm waiting for them to call back and see if they can fit him in today.

Thanks for the support! I was a very confident owner and that's why I felt fine about adopting an older cat (he seems like a kitten to me!) but you do get out of the habit!
    I just hope he will be easy to get in his carrier.... I will update. Thanks again! x

8. Speranza

YEY! When I got home he'd been - twice. Pretty dry and pelletty but plenty of it. So hopefully now he's on lots of water and a bit of olive oil, he will be fine. He has a check up next week so I can talk to them then.

Thank you for your input, everyone! x

Pinto likes this.
  9. LostSoul

LostSoul PetForums VIP

you could try hairball paste, my boy gets constipation, he's had lactalose from the vets and the vet also suggested hairball paste, it helps the fur move through the body so can help 'everything' move through the body...it definitely helps my boy but luckily he likes it, my girls dont, i get my paste from pets at home, most pet shops sell a version of it...

10. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

That's great news!

I would use egg yolk rather than olive oil. More species appropriate, and provides good nutrition and helps with motility, which your boy needs. There is always some problem with motility with constipation. Egg yolk contains choline which improves motility.

Lactulose and hair ball stuff are laxatives that should be given on an empty stomach and two hours before any food, as they both interfere with nutrient absorption. They are also dependent drugs, if you use them too much the body forms a dependency.

In addition most hairball pastes are made with petroleum, which is something never meant to be taken internally, by any living thing.

Speranza and Lurcherlad like this.
  11. Speranza

Thank you - I have tried it but he doesn't seem keen (I used it for another cat but I agree about the petroleum!) I've never heard of eggs for cats before but will definitely try. He also likes milk (very dilute) which will probably help too - at least it means he is taking on more fluids.

I'm sure he will settle soon.

12. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

You can introduce the egg yolk very slowly in tiny amounts gradually working up to target dose. This gives kitty time to get used to the new taste.

My IBD girl likes egg yolk raw, but I wanted to give it to her daily, so switched to boiled, so I can give her 1/4 a yolk a day. She balked at 1/4 yolk in her food, so I had to back way up. I started by adding just a grain or two, bits tinier than rice, to her meal. Gradually, over several weeks I increased those tiny bits. Now she gets 1/4 boiled yolk every night mashed into her bedtime meal and loves it.

#12 lorilu, Jul 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2018
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice