Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Constipation in a 20 year old cat

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by JANICE199, May 5, 2010.

1. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

I'm asking for advice on this for a friend.She has a cat that will be 20 in July and has noticed lately the cat is constipated.Any idea's if this is common in old cats and whats the best treatment please?:D

2. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

I've got the same problem with one of our cats. Fleur isn't that old and she has been having trouble passing stool for years.
    We've been to the vets several times and given her different kinds of food, but nothing really worked. For the last couple of weeks I've been giving her viyo drink. Her poo is still very dry and hard, but it seems to pass easier. I don't know if it really does what the maker promises, but she seems to like it a lot. If anyone has other treatment ideas, I would love to hear them too please.

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hi! I have in the past used psyllium husks to aid constipation in cats.

You need to soak the husks for a few hours in plenty of water and it turns an interesting jelly consistency that you can then mix in with their food. Makes it easier for them to poop.

However, if your cat is on some sort of drugs then you need to consult your vet before using this as it can interfere with the absorption of some drugs.

Pumpkin purree also frequently helps.

4. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

Where would she buy pumkin puree? i've never seen it myself but i will pass this on.Thankyou.:D

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Hmm, I used to make the purree myself - i froze quite a lot of it and used it as and when i needed it.

I have seen jars of pumpkin purree in supermarkets and health food shops - but didn't pay attention to the brand. Sorry :eek:

6. The Twins

The Twins PetForums Senior

I would suggest you buy a pumplin or a squash etc and cook it and then blend to a puree...!

7. HollyM

HollyM PetForums VIP

I had this problem but my cat had just switched to an almost exclusive raw food diet. Has there been any changes to this cats diet etc? Also someone on here recommended Pilchards to me, wash the tomato sauce off them and serve....it seemed to do the trick. Also liver has laxative qualities.

8. JANICE199

JANICE199 PetForums VIP

There's been no change in diet as far as i know, but i will ask her..I've been looking on the net and it seems common in old cats.I will mention the liver to her.Thankyou.:D

9. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

20 yrs old - wow, that's a good age! My cat had similar problems (she was 18) & I was also recommended pilchards or mackerel in oil to help her go. It did seem to help, she loved the stuff as well & was in no way a fussy eater which made things easier.

10. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I just posted on a previous thread, but I would try...
    1. Add a good splash of warm water to wet food meals.
    2. Add a few drops of salmon oil to food daily
    3. Add slippery elm powder, either direct to food or mashed up in a pat of butter. Butter also helpful.
    4. Soak golden linseeds in hot water then add half a teaspoon to each meal, tasteless but lubricates well.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice