Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Constant Nipping/Biting

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Michelle S, Jul 10, 2018.

1. Michelle S

Michelle S PetForums Junior

Hi everyone,

Molly is settling in great and is now sleeping from 10pm-5.30am in her crate. We let her out for the toilet and she then goes back to sleep till around 7am/7.30am.

The only difficulty we seem to be having is the constant nipping/biting. I am looking for some advice ... my five year old daughter isn’t quite understanding that Molly is just playing/teething.

I have various toys available to Molly at all times. Some hard. Some soft. I have also introduced a plastic bone that she enjoys chewing on. Some of the rope toys she has completely chewed, to the point they are falling apart after only a few days ... which is fine I will get her more.

The pet shop advised that I buy Pedigree Denta Tubos - I have given her one for the last 2 days. My worry is - it states aged 4 months - Molly is only 10 weeks? I take it off her as she gets to the end as I worry she chokes.

My strategies so far have been:

Firm NO!
    Moving her away!
    Giving her toys every time she nips/bits!

She is now biting furniture, blinds, sofa, curtains....

What should I try now?

P.S we are booked into a one hour puppy class on the 29th via our local pet shop.

Awaiting a local puppy class starting back up in August as it’s currently closed for the summer break.

Thank you in advance.

2. Winstons Ma

Winstons Ma PetForums Newbie

Hi there

I'm brand new to this site, but definitely have experience of your issue, although we managed to stop it getting so far - maybe more luck than judgement. In puppy classes we asked for advice and our trainers told us to do a relatively loud 'ouch', not shouting, but loud enough to surprise our border terrier and switch his focus. If he was nipping us, to hold the area so he could see he had caused pain or injury. Have to say, we did that less than a handful of times and it stopped instantly. In terms of curtains etc. we have been incredibly lucky with our little fella chewing stuff he shouldn't. Good luck.

Mandy

3. Michelle S

Michelle S PetForums Junior

Thank you Mandy... the ouch seems to make her more excited! Wee rascal lol x

#3 Michelle S, Jul 10, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2018
  4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Become a statue.:D
    Stand up, turn away and totally ignore your puppy keeping hands out of the way. Puppies hate being ignored. Do this everytime, your daughter can do this too. If the puppy stills keep trying to bite you, leave the room for a minute. Go back in, if the pups starts biting again, go back out. Do this everytime and you will soon see results. Remember that an overtired puppy never knows when to stop and will just become more and more manic. See if she will settle down in her crate if you are using one with something to do like lick out a Kong with something stuffed inside it to eat - look up stuffed Kong recipes online. Or a tasty treat to chew on, mine like calf hooves - not the filled kind that you can buy as the filling is awful stuff. Look online for calf hooves. Hopelly after a short period of licking and chewing your pup will fall asleep and have a good nap and be in a better from of mind when she wakes up.

5. Winstons Ma

Winstons Ma PetForums Newbie

Typical, they are funny and sometimes it's hard not to laugh :Joyful

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice