Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Constant choking with a big gag at the end

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Punkamonk, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Punkamonk

Punkamonk PetForums Newbie

My 14 year old long haired chihuahua for the last 3 - 4 months, his choking, coughing, with a big gag at the end. I once asked my vet and he replied that's something chihuahuas do. Someone please tell me this isn't something that is a sign of him getting close to death. Two of my girlfriends have both said that at different times.

2. smokeybear

smokeybear PetForums VIP

Do you walk your dog on a collar and lead or a harness? It could be laryngeal collapse and so if you have not already done so please swap from a collar to a harness

Punkamonk likes this.
  3. SixStar

SixStar Banned

A heart issue was my first thought, I would see a different vet.

4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Could be a combination of both which my last dog had, although the heart condition was the worse problem

5. rona

rona Still missing my boys

I was told in no uncertain terms by a vet the other day that laryngeal issues affect large dogs and tracheal collapse little dogs? o_O

OP. How often does your dog do this? My old boy did exactly the same thing, sometimes a few times a day, other times he'd go weeks without. It always seemed worse when he had been resting a saliva/flem had gathered

#5 rona, Apr 23, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2017
  6. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

If you are worried and not happy with what your vet has told you, go to another vet for a second opinion.

7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I have one that does this. She got constant throat infections when she would be worse but it has now escalated into doggy COPD. With an older dog I would wonder about heart and I would definitely take her to the vet. Mine was xrayed and her heart was fine but she had very inflamed and thickened bronchial tubes

8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

It does sound as though it could be heart related or even kennel cough.

Either way, I think your Vet needs to be more thorough, particularly with an old dog.

Did he sound her heart?

9. Punkamonk

10. Punkamonk

That's a very good start. If that works, awesome. If not, back to the forum. Thank you for your suggestion.

11. Punkamonk

12. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If I have understood your post correctly, I'm assuming that he has been previously fine, but then started doing this only in the last 3/4 months? If this is the case so therefore something relatively new and there has been no improvement in the last 3/4 months he has been doing it then I wouldn't just want to assume that this
    is just something Chihuahuas do. Is it something that's pretty regular and maybe worse after exercise or excitement? When did he last have a through vet check, and his heart and lungs listened too, has he been checked since this has started or recently? If he hasn't then I would get the vet to check him over and listen to his heart and lungs.

13. Punkamonk

No joke,60 - 70 times a day. My husband is in such denial that, when I bring up squeaks choking, he just brushes it just off. He won't allow me to bring him to the vet. How's that for a doggie daddy

14. danielled

danielled Guest

No, if not back to the vet. We can't diagnose on a forum.

15. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If this is something as I said that's a more recent occurance and not getting better, he does need checking. It cant be pleasant for the dog, ignoring it wont just make it go away, and the appropriate medication could make all the difference.

danielled likes this.
  16. Punkamonk

17. Punkamonk

18. danielled

danielled Guest

Oh by the way off topic but the forum likes to post blank posts as you've just seen.

19. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Then you need to ignore your husband and go and see another vet

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice