Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Considering getting myself a spider

Discussion in 'Spiders and Inverts' started by Regnes, May 10, 2011.

1. Regnes

Regnes PetForums Newbie

So I've always really loved spiders, and I've gotten it in my mind recently that if I love them so much, why not go and buy myself one. I just have a couple things I would need to look into first.

I know that various tarantulas are more docile than others while others such as the goliath bird eater are known to be more agressive. What I'd like to know is if this REALLY matters when it comes to being a first time owner, like what are the worst case consequences of me perhaps getting an agressive spider without experience taking care of them. I mean, tarantula bites are supposed to register in comparison to that of a bee sting aren't they, not much to worry if one gets loose or I make a mistake handling one?

At the pet stores I see them sold in small bug enviroment box thingies, when I buy a spider are they typically going to give me the home to go with it, or am I usually expected to bring a container of my own for the spider to move into? Would I be expected to have a bigger container than what they're showcased in? I know spiders typically prefer more cramped spaces, but it kind of seems like they're a bit too cramped some of those little guys.

2. Bullymastiff

Bullymastiff PetForums Member

Hi, A Chile Rose would be a good choice for a first time owner,
    The bites can be extremely painful, and can cause swelling and pain for days, and if you turn out to be allergic you could have real problems!!

Im sure the pet store should package it for you.
    Tank size all depends on the size of the spider you are buying, will it be a spiderling or adult?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice