Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Considering getting a dog what am undecided on what breed.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by JimbobB, Jan 3, 2012.

1. JimbobB

JimbobB PetForums Newbie

Hi all. Me and my partner are considering getting a dog but would like a little input from you guys. We`ve never owned a dog before so this will be our first. We`re both responsible pet owners as we have a Britishshorthair cat who is very well looked after, he has regular checkups at the vets where he has his regular vaccinations and he eats vet recommended food which is all measured out, he`s very friendly to the neighbours dogs so we know he`d welcome a new playmate. We`d most definitely be getting a puppy as apposed to a rescue dog. We`re both very active as a couple and are keen runners/cyclist so we`d like our dog to be the same. We`re looking for a small breed of around 10 kg give or take a few kilos either way and something that isn`t going to suffer from medical problems. No drooling allowed as he/she will probably share the bed just like our cat and i something that doesn`t shed too much. We both work but my partner is a self employed gardener so there would be occasions when it would be able to tag along but not guaranteed but she comes home every lunch time. We have a 60ft back garden with about half that lawn and would be happy to allow access to this with a dog flap if necessary. Oh and we have no children and probably never will hence the feeling for the need of companionship.

#1 JimbobB, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2012
  2. Firedog

Firedog PetForums VIP

Hi,I have border terriers,they are a very active little dog and would happily be out all day with you,equally they are happy to lounge around the house all day if you dont feel too well.They weigh in about 7kg so are an ideal size for the bed.They are a breed at the moment do not require any health tests as there do not seem to be health problems in the breed as yet.They are not a poofy breed and any man would be proud to be seen walking one.

3. mama_abz

mama_abz PetForums Member

hello and welcome to petforums.

Im afraid i dont have lots of help for you but i am sure someone much more knowledgable than me.

You need to research breeds alot before deciding as just because you think they look cute does not make them the right dog for you.

You mention that you want a small dog and also that you want a dog that can run and cycle along with you. Im sure if i have got this wrong i will be corrected but i believe the smaller breeds should not be excersized for long periods specially if running.

from a breif google search (dog breeds for running) there are several sites that come up with lists of dogs that should be suitable. I wouldnt take these lists as the be all and end all though and if there are breeds you like the look of then i would research them more before deciding.

But i think you will be looking at a medium size dog for the excersize part of things.

also if you are adament about getting a puppy then you need to be able to take time off work to settle them in and do the basic training. Do not expect to get any dog and they be fully house trained already.

from personal experience owning a cat is very different from owning a dog, so be prepared for that.

As for non drowling this is something that can be researched with the types of breed you like, and non shedding aswell but in my experience every dog sheds even if its just slightly.

4. Colette

Colette PetForums VIP

There are far too many potential breeds to consider from what you have said so far so could you possibly give any more details?

For example:

Grooming requirements - low shedding you've said would be preferable but do you want an easy coated breed or would you be happy to get heavily into grooming? (many of the low shedding breeds are high maintenance).

Training etc. As this is your first dog you would probably be best off avoiding the more "challenging" breeds but how interested are you in training? Do you want a dog that will simply pick up the basics, or something smarter that you could try agility or obediance or something with? Be aware that many of the smarter breeds that excel at training often need plenty of mental stimulation and "work" to stop them getting bored.

Noise - does it bother you? Some breeds are renowned for loving the sound of their own voices so you (or your neighbours) would need to be ok with this.

Personal preferences? Any particular breeds or types of dogs you like / dislike?

Just wanted to add - while there are plenty of smallish breeds that would happily take as much exercise as you can offer, please remember that NO puppy should be taken out running or cycling! The usual recommendation is 5 minutes per month of life to prevent damage, then gradually increasing the dogs fitness. You shouldn't expect your dog to be running or cycling with you until it is at least a year old.

5. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I know a fair few folk who run with their JRTs and other small breeds like CKCS and cycle and the dogs love it :thumbup1:

As others have said though there are many factors to be taken into consideration.

6. shetlandlover

shetlandlover PetForums VIP

Welcome to Petforums.
    As long as you go to a GOOD breeder who health tests you will be safe to get any breed. Health isn't just down to breeds but down to breeders, a fairly healthy breed can be very unhealthy if the dogs are not health tested while I know pugs, cavaliers and GSD's which are classed as "unhealthy" breeds which have fantastic health because their breeders health test. So please don't rule out a breed based on health.

From what you have asked;
    • No slobber.
    • 10kg (maybe slightly more or less)
    • Not a big shedder.
    • Fairly active.

You are left with many many breeds for example.
    Basenji.
    Dachshund.
    Corgi.
    Border terrier.
    Yorkshire terrier.
    Poodle (Toy or Mini)
    There are many more but these are just what I can think off the top of my head.

May I suggest you pop along to Crufts and to the discover dogs section and have a look around, chat to some breeds your interested in and then you will have a better idea of which breed you can see yourself living with.

Best of luck.

7. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

Just to add my two penneth, rescue centres do puppies too! Admittedly not usually health tested, but I don't think it's fair not to at least consider a rescued puppy!;) But I am biast about rescue I admit! :biggrin::biggrin:

8. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

Parents of a puppy can have all the health tests in the world and come out with perfect scores, but that will not always prevent the puppy from suffering from something that cannot be tested for. I hope you are aware of this. My newfie came from champion stock, all health tests top grade, but that did not prevent him from getting arthritis at the age of only 18 months.

I just wanted you to be aware that any dog can get a debilitating illness or condition.

I was just about to say the same thing. No dog should be running or following a cycle until he is fully grown, no matter what the breed. Otherwise you will have those illnesses you are trying to avoid.

I know nothing about small dogs, so cannot comment except to say that some are very energetic whilst others are low energy breeds and will not cope with lots of heavy exercise.

And I don't think there is such a thing as a dog that doesn't drool at all, even if only after exercise.

9. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Can't help with the choice of breed unfortunately.

Not to put you off but worth a read:
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat/134055-thinking-getting-dog-puppy-realities.html
    http://www.petforums.co.uk/dog-chat/209227-puppy-blues-did-you-have-them.html

As nobody has mentioned it yet... If you decide to look at something like a crossbreed you are looking at any possible variation between the two parents which isn't always the "best features" from both. It could just as easily be the worst traits from both. Don't be fooled into thinking it's not going to shed simply because one parent doesn't for instance. Same goes for temperament. Crossbreeds may also have the same health issues as the parent breeds so health testing is still as important.

10. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

A border terrier might be a good choice for you, or a parson russell terrier. These can take quite a bit of running (once mature) but are small enough to hitch a ride on your bikes if they get tired - you would have to rig up a suitable carrier.

I'm also a self-employed gardener, and my 2 collie/collie X dogs come to work with me. Sometimes they get to sit or play out in the gardens, sometimes they sit in the van according to the security of the garden/wishes of the gardens' owners. A smaller dog is more likely to be acceptable to her clients than anything bigger, best to avoid any breed with a bad reputation such as a Staffy in this regard.

I find work very quiet over winter, very busy in summer - if it's the same for you, winter might be a good time to get the puppy, so there's plenty of time for early training.

And if the dog's going to go to garden work, train it early not to dig!

A miniature poodle might do very well too.

11. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

Please look at this rescue, many puppies are often in-great rescue!:) please remember to scroll down as some are fairl near the bottom of the page:)

Dogs looking for homes - Many Tears Animal Rescue Homing dogs across the UK

I'd also reccommed looking into jack russel terrier :thumbsup: small, sturdy and active dogs who have lovely big personalities:) although I think do shed moderately, they are also a fairly healthy breed overall from experience.

How about a staffy? Smallish-medium sized, low grooming requirements, lovely personalities, can be fairly active and all round lovely dogs! Many young ones or even puppies in rescue or from a reputable breeder-it's deffinatly a breed to look into:)

12. mama_abz

mama_abz PetForums Member

as i said i will probably be corrected. lol but then this is just something else i have learnt. :D

13. MissBexi

MissBexi PetForums VIP

ShetlandLover had a great list minus one gorgeous breed which is Bedlington Terrier... My two can go all day. They are small dogs. Though I recommend a lot of research into this breed as we've had major problems with our 2nd Beddie Bailey with allergies, though if you find a good breeder you should be ok. I cannot recommend them enough.. They are fantastic little companies though I warn you, once you have one you'll want another. they have fantastic natures :D If you have any questions on the breed, feel free to ask.

14. LauraIzPops

LauraIzPops PetForums Senior

I have two cockapoos, I know they are crossbreeds but just thought it was worth a mention incase you like them (cocker spaniel x poodle).

They are generally very smart (training wise - because of the poodle in them), very loving, generally low to non shedding (again because of the poodle), love walks but can also lounge around if you didn't fancy doing much :) However they are quite high maintenance grooming wise. If you want to ask anything i'll try my best to help :)

They're brill, I love mine to bits & would recomment them to anyone :)

Good luck finding a breed & a breeder for you!

15. JimbobB

JimbobB PetForums Newbie

Thank you everyone for your recommendations and great advice. I certainly have lots of hours of investigation ahead of me. I wouldn`t necessarily be running with the dog for long periods and i don`t think i`d ever be cycling with it (but the idea of putting it in a carrier on the front sounds like great fun) i was just making the point that we are an active couple and would like an active dog.
    I think we`re leaning towards a short haired breed and not something too showy. Loyal and laid back, something thats going to snuggle up with us in front of the tv after a nice walk (or run). Something that has come up on a few dog breed selectors are Whippets but my concern for this breed is their desire to chase and possibly bolt when off the lead.
    Please keep your ideas coming because i`m sure there`s still many we haven`t considered yet.

16. Beau-a-saurus

Beau-a-saurus PetForums Senior

Have a look at Bedlington Terriers, fab nature, non shed (well as little as any dog) and if you just go for a shortish clip off, the coat care is nice and easy. They are also great dogs for a snuggle in bed as they do not have oily coats and don't seem to smell at all, we just rinse him of with warm water every now and then and he is soft and curly again :biggrin: Oh and no slobber or drooling :lol:

Energywise they are pretty flexible, Beau is happy to be out and about but equally happy to curl up on the sofa. The one thing I would say is that they can feel the cold so you might find you end up with a collection of smart dog coats but it doesn't stop them playing in the snow or walking/running in the rain :thumbup1:

Healthwise they are pretty good the main issue being a copper storage issue called Copper Toxicosis which can be tested for and I think eye testing is also recommended (but I might be wrong)

Finally if you do research this breed please don't think that all beddies look like the show groomed ones, mine is very much a ruffty tuffty dog who enjoys getting muddy and having fun, I scissor/clip him myself and his 'look' very much depends on my whim at the time, the weather and a bit of common sense.

P.S if you need further convincing have a look at Beddie puppies - gorgeous!

17. Beau-a-saurus

Beau-a-saurus PetForums Senior

Lol you beat me to it :thumbup1:

18. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

Whippets are GORGEOUS dogs.

Positives: Total couch potatoes in the house, low grooming requirements, don’t really shed, very trainable, (generally) not barkers, healthy, good with kids, small, loads in rescue, great first time dog.

Negatives: Feel the cold easily, some can be a bit nervy if from poor breeding, high prey drive. Not sure if anyone else can add any more?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I would go to a rescue like the dogs trust and local dog shows just to look at some of the dogs and see which kind of personalities would suit yours. You can ask them loads of questions and get advice that way.

If you're shopping rather than adopting, please remember to consult a reputable breeder who health tests their dogs, has a defined breeding plan, titles their dogs in anything and has valid proof of paperwork to confirm all of the above. :) Good luck in your search!

19. JimbobB

JimbobB PetForums Newbie

Wow, gorgeous dogs. And the fact they`re almost odour less is very appealing. Another one to consider, they do look like sheep though, lol.
    If we had one from a puppy would it be ok with our cat and i forgot to mention we also have chickens although these are penned in.

20. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

JRTs and some other terriers...sturdy and active..also podencos...love running..very little coat care and calm around the house..but active in the field..lovely, affecionate dogs..get along with cats and people...
    I have podenco/terrier cross!

cocker spaniels ?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice