Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Considering change in diet

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Cherpi, Apr 23, 2017.

1. Cherpi

Cherpi PetForums Senior

Hello all, I've got an (almost) 9 month old Jack Russell x Chihuahua and since I got her I've struggled to make her eat her dry food, if I'm at work it's a common sight when I get home to see her food bowl with food still in it.

I started her off just with dry food, she wouldn't eat it so I used to add some cheese or some kind of fish or meat she likes and that helped, but she'd try her best to eat around the dry food, eventually I started buying some wet puppy trays which I'd add 1/4 of each meal time and it did help, I eventually changed her dry food to some from Tails which she did like at first, then went off it so I had the blend changed, she liked it again, fast forward to now and she's completely gone off it again. I'm sick of going through this over and over again.

Today was the last straw, I went to work this morning and my family watched her, I get home and she literally hadn't even touched her food, at all. So I get angry and throw it away. I had some wet food sachets different to the kind I've been feeding her in the cupboard which I got with her but the person who bought them had got the wrong kind but I said I'd keep them until she got older and decided I'd give it a try. She absolutely loved it, ate it in less than 1 minute.

So to my point, would it be okay to change her over to a fully wet diet rather than having it dry with wet to make it more palatable. I've read dogs do prefer wet because it smells nicer and has a better texture, but can they get a complete diet from wet? If anyone could recommend any wet foods that are good I'd be really grateful, I know there's guides out there but it's so overwhelming, plus someone may have gone through a similar thing and could offer a food that works.

Many thanks.

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

There are many great complete wet diets available so yes you can feed her wet... So you need to look at foods that say complete and not complimentary on the can/tray.

The only problem with wet is its not the best food to be left down to free feed...and in my opinions fussy eaters are made and not born so what happens when she refuses to feed a complete wet all up in one go?

So my best advice would be yes feed her wet, but if she doesn't eat it all in 15 minutes take it away. She will learn quickly. Nothing till next meal time.

rona likes this.
  3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

All my dogs have been fed wet food, in fact Muddy has been on Chappie original tinned virtually all his life because of tummy issues and has made it to a very creditable (for a big dog) 12 years old :)

There never used to be all this awful dry stuff anyway ;)

Mine have dry for treats :D

4. Katerina Smith

Katerina Smith PetForums Newbie

Hey Cherpi! Yes absolutely they can get a complete rounded diet from wet food, I would go for something high quality though so you know exactly what's going into it and therefore, what's going into your furry friend! I have been feeding this complete wet food that's made from human kinds of meat and veg with no weird stuff and they've been great at providing the break downs of what's in it. Mine absolutely LOVES it, maybe yours will too? Here's their website http://butternutbox.com

I sometimes also feed bits of fruit and raw chopped up veg, or treats in a Kong to chase around, keeps things interesting!

5. rockdot

rockdot PetForums Senior

Maybe try soaking the kibble for 5 mins before feeding her?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice