Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

conjunctivitis

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jonesey, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

I'm reasonably sure that Biscuit's got it, one eye has redness and a greenish gloppy discharge. She's not trying to rub it or anything although I'm not sure if she could even if she wanted to. I've just left a message at the vet, but unless they can get me in today we'll have to wait till Wednesday.

Anything I should be doing if we have to wait? I'm just wiping with a warm wet paper towel right now, but I do have some OTC antibiotic eye drops.

My eye's itching too now, I hope it's just a sympathy itch, blech. I wash my hands all the time!

2. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If the whites red and there is a greenish discharge certainly sounds like, he has either got something in it and its set up an infection, or its deffinately an infection of some sort. The vets have given me chloraphenicol antibiotic eye drops in the past for the dogs, so if that is the ones you have I dont think it should do any harm. Not sure if there is different strengths though think the pet ones are 0.5% usually.

Check though that the the ones you have havent got steroid anti inflammatory in them too, some are antibiotic and steroid, the ones with steroid in im pretty sure but you would have to double check, shouldnt be used if there is injury or ulceration to the eye, and sometimes you cant see injuries or ulceration without putting the special dye in the eye
    that clings to it and shows it up. If all else fails you could try cooled boiled water so its sterile and add a small amount of salt and disolve it, before using that to flush out the eye, which is basically what tears are anyhow, so I wouldnt think that would do any harm.

Jonesey likes this.
  3. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

Thank you!

Vet just called back and they can see her early tomorrow morning before a surgery so I'm taking her in and will hold off on any antibiotic drops. But I'm going to put the kettle on now and make her some tears! I never would have thought of that on my own, duh.

4. Sled dog hotel

Only put a tiny tiny bit of salt in though. In the past I have used the artificial tears that are safe to use with soft or disposible contact lenses if I have a new sterile unopened bottle to flush mine out, as the ones I use are only a very mild saline. Glad he can see her tomorrow,

5. mushymouth

mushymouth PetForums Senior

Used teabag rubbed on the eye usually works fir my girl.

6. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

I'll try that too, thanks!

7. Paddy Paws

Paddy Paws PetForums Member

Cold tea (without the milk!) is good for soothing eyes.

8. HannahKate

HannahKate PetForums Senior

If you do make your own "tears" then a physiological strength solution is around one mug of water with a quarter teaspoon of salt (preferably sea salt not iodised salt with preservatives). Real tears are a bit stronger than physiological I would think but you'd be safe with that. :)

9. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

Thank you!

I did a jar of sterile water with a bit of sea salt dissolved and it's in the fridge for cleanings. :)

Our vet wasn't on today, but the vet we saw said it looked to him like conjunctivitis, he suggested an eye stain, but really didn't think it was a cut/scratch/injury so I said no. No need to put her under any extra stress. So she's on antibiotic ointment for 10 days and if it doesn't start clearing up within 48hrs we go back for the stain. Thing is she's had three doses today and it looks loads better already! He said three doses for two days and then go to two doses after that.

I took her for a walk and run at a park we don't normally go to afterwards and met a very strange looking and lonely (my guess!) woman with two brindle greyhounds. She kind of followed us around and just kept on talking about how she records the names of all the dogs her two meet, but only after they've met for the second time and how her two dogs were rescued with another two after being abandoned when they could no longer race on some hill in Florida la la la, but my they were beautiful dogs with just the softest coats and so placid and solemn. They had very knowing eyes those two and I'm inclined to think the story was at least somewhat true. Both at about 12yrs and Biscuit surprised me once again by being so very calm and patient with them, she just stood between them letting them give her sniffs and not jumping up. And then ran for sticks with me while they watched. Biscuit is growing up I think... :)

10. Sled dog hotel

Glad her eye seems better. You might find with Biscuit, she is ok with calm placid dogs, because she feels at ease, they also tend to reflect the behaviour and approach of the other dog Ive found with mine. Ones that approach calm they seem to approach the same and stay that way, Exciteable ones they seem to greet in the same way because they get exciteable too.

11. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

Yes that's very true, but a lot of times she's just bugged the sh*t out of them anyway. It's been only a few times where I've seen her be the calming one or be calmed by the approach. Maybe she's just learning some manners! :)

12. Sled dog hotel

Shes pretty young though isnt she? I find with Nanuq whos just turned 2,
    even now she occasionally does forget herself when she gets a bit too over excited. Its often when she has had a play, ot met an exciteable dog, then meets another. They usually learn through age and experience eventually so if still young I wouldnt worry to much.

13. Jonesey

Jonesey PetForums VIP

Yeah she is, 10mths. But I'm finding that she's mellowing more and more - even with people. Or maybe she's just getting better at reading their signs I don't know. :) (I really don't)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice